Go Down

Topic: motors burning out (Read 361 times) previous topic - next topic

Paul__B

The next step up is going to be RC hobby servos. A little overkill for your application since you don't need accurate positions.
You reckon?

my project is a musical one. so the actuators are used in combination of sticks and pedals to strike percussion instruments.
That's not your average RC model servo.

wvmarle

Have a look at this thread, particularly the video link of #5. Look like what you're trying to do. Looking at the video it seems he's using solenoids to push down the drum sticks, and a rubber band to get them back up.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

taterking

That's me and my daughter in the video! LOL.
Building robots to take over the world.

MarkT

Nov 14, 2019, 01:31 am Last Edit: Nov 14, 2019, 01:33 am by MarkT
Are you sure there's a motor in those door actuators? Not a simple electromagnet?
Most modern door actuators are motors, you can hear them work!  This one obviously has a motor unit and a
rack-and-pinion section from the shape.

They are certainly not rated for continuous use, nor for use under continuous stall (I suspect the circuit driving them senses stall and cuts the power automatically - modern motor control is smart)

Basically any electric motor encased in plastic is likely not for continuous use, motors need ventilation or metal heatsinking to work continuous due to the high power densities involved.

I'd be tempted to see if the plastic casing can be partially removed to help cool the motor part.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

wvmarle

That's me and my daughter in the video! LOL.
Didn't look at the user name, didn't realise it's the same.
Of course you really should have posted it yourself, as it'd have shown everyone here right away what you're up to, and we may have been able to come with solutions already instead of wasting a full page to even get to understand the application.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

Paul__B

So clearly you need heavier-duty motors.

Another odd, but quite serious suggestion would be to take a leaf out of gaming PCs and water-cool the motors!

Wrap copper tubing around the motor housings.  Probably more effective (and quieter) than forced-air cooling.

Go Up