Unable to see Arduino on Windows 10m IDE 1.8.10

The port button under tools is grayed out, I can see the port assigned to the board in windows 10 device manager. I can even see the device in the online editor. The problem is that I need to use my board when I am off line. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If this is specifically for CREATE then I will move you to the correct section ?

Bob.

I need this for off line use. I'm a little confused. I don't have internet at my shop where my CNC is. I get this problem with both my Arduino UNO and MEGA 2560.

In the regular IDE you can turn off the check for updates option.

Bob.

Ok, Bob. But not helping... what additional information can I provide?

Open the IDE.
Click FILE then PREFERENCES.
UNTICK the box for "Check for updates on startup"

That will turn off the IDe from checking for updates to the Boards and for Libraries.

Bob.

Ok. But the trouble I'm having is that the port button in the IDE is grayed out.
I can see in windows 10 device manager that the port com 3 is assigned to the Mega 2560.
As the Mega 2560 is connected. Is there something else that I'm missing, that the IDE is not
seeing the board? It's likely something quite simple, I'm not seeing.

These are the basic troubleshooting steps and answers.

These steps may also save you some unnecessary time and effort in the forum.

• Always provide as much detail as possible to your issue it may be important.

• If applicable provide your SKETCH inside CODE TAGS ( </> ) or a CREATE share link.

• If applicable provide a schematic even if hand drawn.

• Pictures are an invaluable aid. See THIS TOPIC for help posting them.
    COMMON ISSUES

• Check you have a COMMON GROUND where required.

• Where possible use USB 2.0 ports or a USB 2.0 POWERED HUB to rule out USB 3.0 issues.

• Try other computers where possible.

• Try other USB leads where possible.

• You may not have the correct driver installed. CH340/341 or CP2102

• There may be a problem with the board check your wiring first.

• Remove any items connected to pins 0 and 1.
    COMPUTER RELATED

• Ensure you turn off any additional security / antivirus just to test.

• There may be a problem with the PC try RESTARTING it.

• You may be selecting the wrong COM port.

• Avoid cloud/network based installations where possible OR ensure your Network/Cloud software is RUNNING.

• Clear your browsers CACHE.

• If using CREATE then try and INCOGNITO window or similar to rule out browser add-on's.

• Close the IDE before using any other serial programs.

• Preferably install IDE's as ADMINISTRATOR or your OS equivalent

• If you have tried multiple IDE's then you may need to perform additional clean up.
    Performing the above actions may help resolve your problem without further help.

Additional information that might also be of use as it allows you to create a portable version so you can update when needed.

You can use a flash drive and update it on a computer that has internet.

Bob.

Thanks for your input and suggestions Bob. It turned out to be a hardware problem with USB driver issues. The USB ports were working for everything else. While I was troubleshooting I popped in to see if anyone else had had this kind of problem.

Cheers,
Alex.

Thanks for letting us know.

Bob.