Go Down

Topic: Arduino pro mini burning out (Read 334 times) previous topic - next topic

bluejets

Best you provide a clear photo of all your project showing connections.
People here are trying to get more info from you and without it, no-one can really help,only take educated guess.
For example, where did the regulator come from , no mention previously.
One minute you say it doesn't work with 6 or 12 v, then you say later that it does on 12v.
Somewhere is also a reference to using 22v, which we can only assume is a typo error.
Get the drift...?

Paul__B

This begins to sound as if the OP is attempting to power the servo from the 5 V output of the regulator which would be foolish indeed,  Why else would he have referred to "the voltage across the regulator" and "Not enough to drive my servo"?

If the servo is powered from the exact same 6 V which fed to "Vin", then the regulator could not be overloaded.

wvmarle

Does the board burn out as in "won't work ever again" or "will work after restart"? There's no mention of replacing the board, just trying new things. Sounds indeed like an inadequate power supply - overheating or going into overload protection after having to power that servo for half a minute and shutting down.
So:
What exact power supply?
What exact servo?
Where's the a complete schematic of your setup?
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

rayluc

I will try to download a pic a little later today. I am usi g a 12 volt sealed battery. The board does not light up with just 6 volts. The is odd to me be ause what I am doi g is you g from uno r3 to pro mini. I need something smaller. The uno runs on 6 volts. Anyone know why I cannot run the pro mini on 6 volts? Thank you

wvmarle

It should run just fine on 6V, unless yours has an odd regulator that just won't work when it thinks the available dropout is too low..

If that 6V is well regulated (a battery can give a lot more than nominal, depending on the type) you can use two diodes in series and then power your Pro Mini through the 5V pin, using the diode drop instead of a regulator.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

Paul__B

We still have no clear idea of what rayluc is connecting to what!

I am sure the problem is there somewhere!

I mean:
Yes I get it. 6 volts is not enough. 22 volts works. For the FCC pin I am o Lynn maestri g about 3 volts. That does seem right.
Really?  :smiley-roll-sweat:

rayluc

Sorry for the confusion. I was using a power supply with 4) 1.5 AA batteries. What I thought was the board burning out was really the AA batteries not being able to power the board. I was using the RAW pin and a GND with the power supply. The initial contact to the batteries lit the board and then would turn off. I switched out the 4 AA batteries with a 12 volt sealed battery used in depth finders and other electronics. That worked and lit up the board. So the burning out of the board was my interpretation of being burning out when it was insufficient power to the board.

Now I apologize for my mistake. I was using the uno r3 and wanted to switch to the pro mini to save on space by going to a smaller board. I really want to power the pro mini with 6 volts. Can I?

larryd

To drop the voltage, as mentioned, you can take your 6V battery and add a Silicon diode (@0.6V) and a Schottky diode (@0.3V) in series with the battery.

Feed this voltage into the 5v pin on your Arduino.

6V - (0.6V + 0.3V) ~= 5.1V

Make sure you use diodes of the proper rating.     1N4007 and MBR160RLG.

This should be good for about 0.5 to 0.75 amps.

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

Wawa

I switched out the 4 AA batteries with a 12 volt sealed battery used in depth finders and other electronics.
Now that can potentially burn out your ProMini in a spectacular way.

Anything else connected to that ProMini?
Leo..

rayluc

My program is to drive a servo. I am using a mg995.  I am using a separate 6 volt supply to power it.

rayluc

I guess I am not getting it. If 6 volts doesnt light up the board how does putting diodes in series help? Foesnt it drop the voltage even more?

wvmarle

That's exactly the point - so you can then power your Pro Mini straight to the 5V pin, instead of through the Vin pin and the regulator.

larryd

Nov 15, 2019, 04:46 am Last Edit: Nov 15, 2019, 04:48 am by larryd
I guess I am not getting it. If 6 volts doesnt light up the board how does putting diodes in series help? Foesnt it drop the voltage even more?
Do not put the 6v into the 'RAW' (Vin) pin.

Put the 6v (with the two diodes) into the 'Vcc' (5V) pin.

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

Wawa

Please don't advise that.

The ProMini has a tiny 5-pin 150mA voltage regulator with a dropout voltage <=0.1volt.
Perfectly ok to power it with 6volt on V-in-raw.

It seems that that 6volt supply is collapsing under the 1.2Amp stall current of the MG995 servo, that is also connected to that supply.
Diodes > 5volt pin will only make it worse.

OP, get a decent 6volt supply that an deliver at least 1.5Amp.
Alkaline AA might work for some time, plain AA or AAA batteries most likely not.
Leo..

Go Up