Go Down

Topic: ESP8266 range question (Read 706 times) previous topic - next topic

Klaus_K

I did a little experiment. I achieved 40m(130ft) free air with a little bit of vegetation distance with RSSI of -81dBm.

Here is the setup

Access Point: 3m(10ft) high outside
- Adafruit Feather M0 WiFi board
- Microchip WINC1500 WiFi module
- Antenna: PCB

Client: ground level maximum distance about 40m(130ft)
- Arduino Nano 33 IoT
- ublox NINA-W102 WiFi module
- Antenna: SMD, part of the module
- send 100 UDP packages (10 bytes payload) five times (7 packages lost in one of the 5 times)

The library of these modules does not seem to support switching the WiFi modes and power levels. I used the default, which is likely set to maximum, but with around 18dBm (both modules) lower than your module.

Robin2

I did a little experiment. I achieved 40m(130ft) free air with a little bit of vegetation distance with RSSI of -81dBm.
That seems to be consistent with my very limited test. My 100m range was without any vegetation and the stationary ESP8266 was only about 1.5m above ground level.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

notsolowki

Nov 17, 2019, 05:39 pm Last Edit: Nov 17, 2019, 06:54 pm by notsolowki
I guess maybe there's some interference  I dont know about. I dont have a spectrum analyzer or tools like that to be sure. Most of the ESP's I'm using are from different sellers and I refreshed the firmware on one of them without any different results. Right now I have them connected to my wifi but this isn't what  I wanted although it works fine.

Thanks Klaus for going out of you way to test that. I'm stumped. There's only like 3 other houses near me and they are pretty far away but I guess that dont rule out interference. Then again I figure that would drown out any of my other wifi networks. I have a mikrotik ptp bridge setup between 2 houses but that's running at 5ghz.  I guess I'm going to buy one with an sma antenna connector and see what happens there. I'm not going for directional antennas I would like the best radius and range combined that I can get.

Robin2

Nov 17, 2019, 08:31 pm Last Edit: Nov 17, 2019, 08:32 pm by Robin2
Are the antennas oriented in the best direction and is there any metal close to the antenna that might be absorbing the signal?

IIRC the signal from the PCB antenna on an ESP8266-01 module propagates (is that the right word) perpendicular to the PCB.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up