Go Down

Topic: Wireless live feed from Uno to Mobile/PC/Arduino (Read 350 times) previous topic - next topic

Sareno

Dont know if this is the right forum, if not, please move.

I have a lot of sketches right know. Aimed at my RC hobby. I also have my first working proto-type on a car.

One of my next goals is to receive live data from the car on my Android phone. Maybe for testing purposes it is easier to work with another Arduino but in the end it has to be my phone.

I would like to cover a distance of 100M, open field. So I quess I should go for Wifi? What module should I use?

Also, is there a standard app for android use or do I have to learn to write apps? Or, should I create a local webpage to show data?

How does this work?

Robin2

Nov 17, 2019, 08:40 pm Last Edit: Nov 17, 2019, 08:41 pm by Robin2
I think you will have trouble getting 100m range direct to a phone, but it may be worth trying with an ESP8266 or ESP32 WiFi module on the car.

I presume you will have line-of-sight between you and the car. And in that case I reckon you should be able to communicate between a low power nRF24L01+ module (with PCB antenna) on the car and a high power module (with external antenna) as your base station.

AFAIK that is the wireless technology used by some brands of off-the-shelf 2.4GHz RC equipment.

If you are not familiar with web programming I reckon the nRF24 would be easier to use.

...R
Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Sareno

I have line of sight 90% of the time. If not 100%. Webprogramming is not a big deal but App building is.

Standard RC transmit/receive equipment uses 2.4GHz but other protocol than WiFi. However the range is up to 300m flawless. How about that protocol? I have no idea what it is but it is bi-directional and reliable. Could I use that?

Also, Arduino to Arduino to Phone is ok too. If possible. if only I could get that info to my phone or laptop.

Robin2

Nov 17, 2019, 10:23 pm Last Edit: Nov 17, 2019, 10:26 pm by Robin2
Standard RC transmit/receive equipment uses 2.4GHz but other protocol than WiFi. However the range is up to 300m flawless. .
As I said, I believe some of the manufacturers of that equipment use the nRF24L01+ transceivers so I guess you can expect the same performance.

The design of 2.4GHz wireless is a very specialized topic and you can be sure that hobby RC equipment manufacturers just buy in the technology.

The nRF24 modules are very cheap. Buy a few do some tests. Best to buy at least 3 just so you can heck if you think one of them is faulty. Wireless problems can be difficult to debug so having a spare (or two) can alleviate suffering.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Sareno

I am very familiar with WiFi tech but the RC protocol is beyond me. I will try those modules. thanks

Robin2

I am very familiar with WiFi tech but the RC protocol is beyond me. I will try those modules. thanks
I'm not sure what you mean by the "RC protocol". I believe they do use techniques to make them more resilient to interference from other devices and I don't know how they do that. But the standard nRF24 system has a lot of error checking in it as well as the ability to change channels under program control (with the attendant risk of losing communication altogether :) )

...R

Sareno

Nov 18, 2019, 11:32 am Last Edit: Nov 18, 2019, 11:32 am by Sareno
I've ordered a bunch and will be testing indoors first. Thanks!

Karma ++ ;-)

Go Up