Go Down

Topic: Using Mosfets so I dont shock myself (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

raschemmel

Nov 23, 2019, 10:05 am Last Edit: Nov 23, 2019, 10:32 am by raschemmel
Not to be ficetious but I thought " kickback"
was a legal term for paymemts made to corrupt politicians for favors.

"FLYBACK DIODE" is the standard convention
to my knowleldge but some people prefer the
more verbose "BACKEMF DIODE" . As already
implied , anybody who doesn't interpret anything
OTHER THAN just the word "diode"  as implyiing
"backemf diode" probably has no cb lue what
"backemf" means. I would use a schottkey, (like the MBR40250TG) , because they sound cooler and the schematic symbol looks cooler and after all , if it's not cool, it's not electronics right ?
(required endorsement by forum General Electronics topic support members)

DrAzzy

According to wikipedia, synonyms for flyback diode are: "kickback diode, snubber diode, commutating diode, freewheeling diode, suppression diode, clamp diode, or catch diode". The words I see most frequently are "flyback", "freewheel" and "snubber" (in that order). "clamp diode" as I've seen it used refers to something slightly different - a diode which is there to prevent the voltage at some point in a circuit from exceeding some other voltage - clamp diodes are used in place of a flyback diode in an H-bridge (since the voltage could be applied to the load in either polarity, a simple flyback diode couldn't be used - so instead, each side of the load gets a diode to Vcc and Gnd to ensure that the voltage on either side was never higher than Vcc or lower than Gnd); the diode from Reset to Vcc on AVR-based arduino boards with an autoreset circuit is also a "clamp diode" in this sense, as it ensures that when DTR is released, the voltage on reset does not exceed the

I thought " kickback" was a legal term for paymemts made to corrupt politicians for favors.
It's a colloquial term for illegal payments, not a legal one (specifically, where a decision-maker in one organization agrees to buy something on that organization's behalf (with their money) at an inflated price, or which is unnecessary/ineffective (or both - as in the case of the fake bomb detectors used by security forces in some developing countries), and then receives a portion of that purchase price) - not specific to payments to politicians, though they are often the recipients of them. "Kickback" is more specific than a "bribe" which includes any corrupt payment.
ATTinyCore and megaTinyCore for all ATtiny, DxCore for DA/DB-series! github.com/SpenceKonde
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

raschemmel

Nov 23, 2019, 02:18 pm Last Edit: Nov 23, 2019, 02:47 pm by raschemmel
"Well kick me back in the snubber !!!

I might just have to get me a freewheel an a
snubber to replace my backemf  cuz it ain't
clampin like it used to"

krupski

Not to be ficetious but I thought " kickback"
was a legal term for paymemts made to corrupt politicians for favors.

"FLYBACK DIODE" is the standard convention
to my knowleldge but some people prefer the
more verbose "BACKEMF DIODE" . As already
implied , anybody who doesn't interpret anything
OTHER THAN just the word "diode"  as implyiing
"backemf diode" probably has no cb lue what
"backemf" means. I would use a schottkey, (like the MBR40250TG) , because they sound cooler and the schematic symbol looks cooler and after all , if it's not cool, it's not electronics right ?
(required endorsement by forum General Electronics topic support members)
Don't forget the "damper diode" in the flyback circuit of an old fashioned CRT TV. ;)
Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Go Up