Go Down

Topic: Connect Arduino Boards to iOS & Android Smartphones & Create an HMI (Read 236 times) previous topic - next topic

sgussenhoven

This tutorial explains teaches users how to add TapNLink PRIMER NFC / Bluetooth Low Energy modules to connect Arduino boards to smartphones and create a human machine interface (HMI).

The HMI can be used to:
  • Monitor specific variables / data in the Arduino application on a smartphone
  • Change variables' values from the HMI on the smartphone
  • Send data coming from the Arduino board to a Cloud platform

To do the tutorial you will need:
  • An Arduino Uno, Due or Mega2560 programmed with its own application
  • IOTize's ARDtap library
  • A TapNLink Primer NFC-BLuetooth Evaluation Kit
  • IOTize Studio configuration software
  • An Android or iOS smartphone
  • IoTize Tap Manager app installed on the smartphone

How it works:
Your Arduino must be running its own software application. This is what generates the data that you will be interested in viewing of modifying from the HMI.

In your Arduino application code, you will add a software serial port (a.k.a. S3P) that uses two GPIOs of the microcontroller on your Arduino. The code you will need is provided in the ArdTap library in the Arduino IDE.

The TapNLink wireless module connects to your Arduino with just 4 wire connections including the power supply and the ground.

The TapNLink wireless module has its own processor that you configure with the locations of data (a.k.a. variables) that you want to view or change from the smartphone HMI. You will use a free configuration software called IoTize Studio to do this.

When you configure the TapNLink wireless module, that configuration automatically creates the the HMI app. This app is mostly HTML5 with some JavaScript. This type of web app works because IoTize provides you the free low level app called IOTize Tap Manager, which manages all the communication interfaces on the smartphone. You will want to install this app from Play Store or App Store on your smartphone before you start.

Full Tutorial on Github:
https://github.com/iotize-sas/Arduino-Tap/blob/master/extras/howto.md

Where to Buy TapNLink PRIMER:

Where to Get Help
  •   Via Github

ballscrewbob

You might want to expand on this with your own work.

Email REMOVED btw.

Bob.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

sgussenhoven

Sorry. I am just posting this for Francis because he has asked me to promote this tutorial.

This seemed like the right place. :-)

If we add any additional information, we'll post here if appropriate.

Cheers,
Steve

Go Up