Go Down

Topic: External power source and serial monitor on arduino nano (Read 101 times) previous topic - next topic

krusion

I need to connect my arduino to an external power supply (regulated 5v) as I'm using many sensors and have a pump connected. But I also need to view the serial monitor while troubleshooting and testing.

The problem is that once an external power source is connected, the serial monitor stops working. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

I've searched online already. Found old posts about this but some of them are conflicting.

DrAzzy

Which arduino board is this with?

Can you describe the behavior you're seeing more precisely? "Once an  external power source is connected the serial monitor stops working" is missing a bunch of the key pieces of information we would need in order to point you to the next step of solving the problem.

Did you have a serial connection open at the point in time when you connnected an external regulated 5v supply to the 5v pin of the nano, and this open connection ceased to function? In this case, if you tell the software to close/open connection, does it work?

ATTinyCore for x4/x5/x61/x7/x8/x41/1634/828/x313 megaTinyCore for the megaavr ATtinies - Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

krusion

Sorry. Couldn't reply earlier.

Which arduino board is this with?
Arduino Nano per the title.

Can you describe the behavior you're seeing more precisely? "Once an  external power source is connected the serial monitor stops working" is missing a bunch of the key pieces of information we would need in order to point you to the next step of solving the problem.
Let's say I have a normal analog sensor connect. For example an LDR. The data is showing on the computer and everything is perfect. Now once I plug in the external power supply, basically turn it on. The serial monitor stops working. If I were to unplug the power supply. And the arduino from the USB, and plug the USB back in, it'll show again. I think I had to close and open the serial monitor though. Also, if I have the arduino powered on by the power supply to begin with and connected the arduino to the computer, the serial monitor won't work either. No sure if that answers your question or I missed a point you were looking for.

Did you have a serial connection open at the point in time when you connnected an external regulated 5v supply to the 5v pin of the nano, and this open connection ceased to function? In this case, if you tell the software to close/open connection, does it work?
That's exactly what happens. How do I tell the software to open/close the connection. Sorry I might know it but I can't think of it off the top of my head right now. Will google it in the mean time and try it tomorrow.

Go Up