Go Down

Topic: Request for help to make ESP32 to work with 6" ePaper of ‘Dalian Good Display’ (Read 5352 times) previous topic - next topic

Jiva1970

Dear Mr. Jean-Marc,

and some "modern art" I am struggling with (the vendor of)
It's a Benq Display, right?
Is the vendor cooperative to replace?
Hope you get a replacement soon! :)
For what project are you using it?
Enjoy your "modern art"!
 :)  :)

now I see the error:
try COMBINATION#3
3.3V / 1
GND / 4
SWDIO / 7
SWCLK / 9
Thanks a TON!!!!!
That worked...at least the board got connected.
Thanks a lot.
 :)

Now I get the following on Arduino Terminal:
Code: [Select]
Sketch uses 432824 bytes (82%) of program storage space. Maximum is 524288 bytes.
Global variables use 64104 bytes (97%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1432 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 65536 bytes.
Low memory available, stability problems may occur.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino>rem @echo off

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino>rem: Note E:\Users\govin\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\tools\win\ get path of this batch file

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino>rem: Need to change drive if My Documents is on a drive other than C:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino>set driverLetter=E:\Users\govin\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\tools\win\

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino>set driverLetter=E:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino>E:

E:\>cd E:\Users\govin\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\tools\win\

E:\Users\govin\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\tools\win>rem: the two line below are needed to fix path issues with incorrect slashes before the bin file name

E:\Users\govin\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\tools\win>set str=C:\Users\govin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_22061/GxEPD_HD_Example.ino.bin

E:\Users\govin\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\tools\win>set str=C:\Users\govin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_22061\GxEPD_HD_Example.ino.bin

E:\Users\govin\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\tools\win>rem: ------------- use STLINK CLI

E:\Users\govin\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\tools\win>stlink\ST-LINK_CLI.exe -c SWD -P C:\Users\govin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_22061\GxEPD_HD_Example.ino.bin 0x8000000 -Rst -Run -NoPrompt
STM32 ST-LINK CLI v3.3.0.0
STM32 ST-LINK Command Line Interface

ST-LINK SN: 303F09002A12354D314B4E00
ST-LINK Firmware version: V2J35S7 (Need Update)
Connected via SWD.
SWD Frequency = 4000K.
Target voltage = 3.3 V
Connection mode: Normal
Reset mode: Software reset
Device ID: 0x414
Device flash Size: 512 Kbytes
Device family: STM32F10xx High-density

Loading file...
Flash Programming:
  File : C:\Users\govin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_22061\GxEPD_HD_Example.ino.bin
  Address : 0x08000000
Memory programming...
�������������������������������������������������� 0%
 0%��� 6%��� 13%���� 20%��� 27%���� 34%��� 41%���� 48%��� 55%���� 62%��� 69%���� 76%��� 83%���� 90%��� 97%�� 100%
Memory programmed in 23s and 672ms.
Programming Complete.

MCU Reset.

Application started.

E:\Users\govin\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\tools\win>rem: Using the open source texane-stlink instead of the proprietary STM stlink exe

E:\Users\govin\OneDrive\Documents\Arduino\hardware\Arduino_STM32\tools\win>rem:texane-stlink\st-flash.exe write C:\Users\govin\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_22061\GxEPD_HD_Example.ino.bin 0x8000000

And... there is no activity on the display.
I presume GxEPD_HD_Example will display some text or image on successful completion of uploading the sketch.

Any further guidance will be very helpful, please.

Thanks,
Regards.
Jiva

ZinggJM

Dear Mr. Jiva,

Is the vendor cooperative to replace?
This is an ongoing story for one week now.
The vendor is obliged to, but requested to open a support ticket with benq.eu.
There seems to be an agreement between them for support cases.
But now the open ticket was refused, the ball is back to the vendor.
It is not yet clear if I need to report the case to my legal insurance.

I am glad you successfully made one step forward to use your e-paper.

You could post a close-up photo of the connection of the e-paper to the demo board.

Which connector to use and the orientation of the e-paper should be clear from one of my photos.

You need to pull out the black retainer of the connector about 1mm, then push in the flex cable, then push in the black cubes of the retainer.

The example produces diagnostic output on Serial2, the serial pins that can connect through jumpers to the USB-to-serial chip. If you connect the USB cable you can see this diagnostic output in the Serial Monitor of the Arduino IDE (115200 baud). Unfortunately the parallel IF e-papers provide no feedback on their connector.

Jean-Marc
No personal message please; any question may be useful for other users. Use code tags for code. Make links clickable with URL tags. Provide links to the product in question.

Jiva1970

Dear Mr. Jean-Marc,

Thanks for the guidance.

Few questions, further:

Can you kindly point out the location of the "serial pins (that can connect through jumper to the serial-to-usb chip)" on DESTM32-T, please?

Irrespective of 'diagnostic output on serial2', we would get to see some sort of display on the ePaper, if everything runs well. Am I right?
If yes, what is that that gets displayed?
Some text or image?

Note:
I'm travelling. Will post the "closeup photo of the connection of ePaper to demo board" tomorrow, please.

Thanks,
Regards.
Jiva

ZinggJM

Dear Mr. Jiva,

Can you kindly point out the location of the "serial pins (that can connect through jumper to the serial-to-usb chip)" on DESTM32-T, please?
See picture of your post #15 and my answer in #16:

D: closed, for diagnostic output through USB
Irrespective of 'diagnostic output on serial2', we would get to see some sort of display on the ePaper, if everything runs well. Am I right?
If yes, what is that that gets displayed?
Some text or image?
An example that doesn't show anything on the display wouldn't make much sense, would it? :)

It would greet the world, show some text, then the demo from Good Display, then a partial update test, and some final text.

Jean-Marc
No personal message please; any question may be useful for other users. Use code tags for code. Make links clickable with URL tags. Provide links to the product in question.

Jiva1970

Dear Mr. Jean-Marc,

It's working!!

Thanks for all the guidance and support. :)
I couldn't have achieved this without your kind help.

The problem was with the power inputs to DESTM32-T.

Final working set up is (kindly refer to yellow markers 1, 2 & 3 in the above image):
1. For 5V Power
From Power Adapter (DC 5V, 1.5A) to P_J7 Connector on DESTM32-T.
2. For 3.3V Power
From ST-LINK/V2 Dongle  to N_J1 connector on DESTM32-T (3.3V to Pin1 and GND to Pin4; please note that SWDIO & SWCLK are not connected)
3. ST-LINK/V2 Dongle

Overheating problem while providing 3.3V supply to P_J7 Connector on DESTM32-T
A.
However, the ST-LINK/V2 Dongle gets over-heated very soon and I have to disconnect it within 1 minute of connecting !!
B.
I have tried providing 3.3V from YwRobot-MB-V2 BREADBOARD POWER SUPPLY (3.3V/5V) . But, then, the AMS1117 (voltage regulator) gets overheated in no time. I powered the YwRobot board from a 12V DC (1 Amp) Adapter.

In case A above: The heat dissipation is supposed to be proportional to 1.7V (=5V-3.3V)
In case B above: The heat dissipation is supposed to be proportional to 8.7V (=12V-3.3V)
However, in both the cases same overheating is happening within a minute!

I know that it is irrelevant to discuss this here; I'll solve it myself.
However, if you can tell me how you are powering your DESTM32-T, it would be helpful.

Thanks,
Regards.
Jiva

ZinggJM

Dear Mr. Jiva,

Congratulations! I am pleased to get this positive feedback.

I power my board through an USB cable from an USB3 connection from my notebook, with a switchable USB3 HUB in between. I do not connect the 3.3V from the ST-Link V2 to the board.

The power jumper needs to be set for supply from USB for this, and the power switch set to the ON position.

You could check this: if the power switch is set OFF, the LED on the TCON board is off, if the power switch is ON, the LED will be on.

I didn't notice any overheating. I will check. And I will add photos.

Jean-Marc

Maximum current on 5V during refresh was about 0.45A.

Do not power through J7! This jumper can be replaced by a current meter to measure current drawn by the TCON-11.

Jiva1970

Dear Mr. Jean-Mark,

Thanks for the constant guidance.
I have powered the board ONLY through USB Interface from 5V (1Amp) DC Adapter, and everything works PERFECT!! :)

Now, regarding the content to be displayed...

Currently, the demo sketch demonstrates display of different aspects (like refresh types, content-types etc.). Fine.

Is it possible that we write some text in a separate content-file* (apart from the sketch), and call it from within the code of the sketch and then display?
*To start with we can have some formatted text in this content-file. However, we need to add some images too to this content-file, later on.

If yes, is it possible to dynamically change the contents of that content-file? I mean, is it possible to receive content (from some external source) through UART and replace the contents of the text-file?

If my doubts are very mundane, please don't bother yourself to explain; but then, kindly try to provide me some hints towards the direction I have to research.

I, once again, thank you very much for all the help and support.

Thanks,
Regards.
Jiva

ZinggJM

Dear Mr. Jiva,

Currently, the demo sketch demonstrates display of different aspects (like refresh types, content-types etc.).
Yes, and it completely uses available processor RAM and ROM (flash).
You can select to see a different example by uncommenting line 30, to see some bitmap examples instead of the demo from Good Display.
You can comment line 25 and uncomment line 27 to get ~30k free RAM.

Is it possible that we write some text in a separate content-file* (apart from the sketch), and call it from within the code of the sketch and then display?
Yes, this is possible. There are several options for this:
1. You could have the initial content in code space, and loaded new content in free RAM. You would quickly run out of RAM, especially for bitmaps.
2. The main board has an additional RAM chip, I think it is SPIRAM, that could be used. It can be connected by adding jumpers.
3. You could add an SD-card module. These are inexpensive and easily connected through SPI.
4. You could add SPI-flash. I think there are modules for this, I may even have some somewhere.

All options can be easily used for showing bitmaps.

For formatted text I have no experience. You would need to decide about the format to use, and search for available interpreter library to present it.

I would be interested to learn how you intend to proceed to your final goal. Do you intend to use the DESTM32-T as a prototype or proof-of-concept, and what would be the next steps?

Good Luck!

Jean-Marc

ZinggJM

Dear Mr. Jiva,

I have started a new topic in the Arduino Forum Displays How to render formatted text with Arduino?
I hope we will get useful hints for this.

I have searched for "jpeg" with the Arduino Library Manager and got the expected library JPEGDecoder by Bodmer I had read about in this forum.
I will try this library for big e-paper displays for b/w and grey level bitmaps.

Jean-Marc

Jiva1970

Dear Mr. Jaen-Marc,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I would be interested to learn how you intend to proceed to your final goal. Do you intend to use the DESTM32-T as a prototype or proof-of-concept, and what would be the next steps?
Right now, my intention is to use DESTM32-T for POC (proof-of-concept). If it works, building a prototype can be thought of.

4. You could add SPI-flash. I think there are modules for this, I may even have some somewhere.
Can you provide some details about this SPI-Flash Module, please? Any possible guidance on this module for showing bitmaps, is highly appreciated please.

I have started a new topic in the Arduino Forum Displays 'How to render formatted text with Arduino?'
That's a good initiative. Thanks.

I have searched for "jpeg" with the Arduino Library Manager and got the expected library JPEGDecoder by Bodmer I had read about in this forum.
I will try this library for big e-paper displays for b/w and grey level bitmaps.
Great. Do continue your good work.

Thanks,
Regards.
Jiva

ZinggJM

Dear Mr. Jiva,

Can you provide some details about this SPI-Flash Module, please? Any possible guidance on this module for showing bitmaps, is highly appreciated please.
I have 3 of these: 2516 memory module, W25Q16BVSIG serial SPI flash memory, 16M-BIT
I don't recommend the shop, it took 45 days to deliver. Searching for "2516 memory module" in AliExpress shows many alternatives.
They are waiting for me to be used since 10.3.2018, so I have no experience yet.
I will add one to the DESTM32-T and add an example to the GxEPD_HD library. This will take some time.

Jean-Marc

Jiva1970

Dear Mr. Jean-Marc,

I will add one to the DESTM32-T and add an example to the GxEPD_HD library. This will take some time.
That's so kind of you.
I'll wait, please.

Thanks,
Regards.
Jiva

Jiva1970

Dear Mr. Jean-Marc,

I already possess 10 pcs of W25Q128JV (bare ICs).

A couple of Breakout-Boards of W25Q64FV are arriving tonight:

Can I be of any help, please?

Thanks,
Regards.
Jiva

ZinggJM

Dear Mr. Jiva,

this is perfect.

I will have enough space for tests with my 16M-BIT W25Q16BVSIG, and you will have a lot of space for your texts and bitmaps.

I will first connect my W25Q16BVSIG to an ESP8266 or ESP32 to load some bitmaps using a modified version of my GxEPD2_Spiffs_Loader.ino, and then connect it to the DESTM32-T.

I will keep you informed.

Jean-Marc

Jiva1970

Dear Mr. Jean-Marc,

Thanks.
That's a plan!

Further, I have few unconnected questions...
I tried to understand the scope (i.e. what it can do) of GxEPD2_Spiffs_Loader.ino from the comments you have provided at the starting. However, I couldn't understand it properly.
It would be a great help, if you can kindly write few lines about it (scope, benefits and how to use it in conjunction with ESP32+W25Q series SPI Flash); just few sentences (in a nutshell) would do, please.

You have mentioned here that "The picture contrast only degrades very slowly over time; it is still visible after a year normally."
Does the picture contrast degrade even if we put the epaper-device to use after one full year of 'no use'? Even if we send powerOff command to the controller (before shelving the epaper-device for one-year)?

Does GxEPD_HD library support differential update, aka "fast partial update"?

Hope, I'm not asking for too much..:(
Kindly excuse my lacuna, please.

Thanks,
Regards.
Jiva

Go Up