Go Down

Topic: Arduino 1.8.9, Windows 10, updatet, Driver for ESP8266 - CH340 - no ports (Read 660 times) previous topic - next topic

Bielefeldt

Arduino 1.8.9, Windows 10, updatet, Driver for ESP8266 - CH340 - no ports

Having used the Arduino IDE for many years, but apparently today, when I wanted to start a new project, I can't get the Arduino IDE to show the COM ports.

I have tried uninstalling my CH340 Driver and reinstalled it. It went fine, but there are still no com ports available.

Have tried on another Windows 10 PC which I have also used before with Arduino IDE, but same problem here. No COM ports

Maybe it's due to the latest Windows 10 update, but I really have no idea what's wrong?

Hope someone has experienced the same and may have some tips ...

ballscrewbob

Dropping the usual hints and tips here.

Does device manager actually make the hardware sound when you plug Arduino devices in ?

Please
READ THIS POST to help you get the best out of the forum.

SIMPLE TROUBLESHOOTING.

These steps may also save you some unnecessary time and effort in the forum.

COMMON ISSUES
  • Check you have a COMMON GROUND where required.
  • Where possible use USB 2.0 ports or a USB 2.0 POWERED HUB to rule out USB 3.0 issues.
  • Try other computers where possible.
  • Try other USB leads where possible.
  • You may not have the correct driver installed. CH340/341 or CP2102
  • There may be a problem with the board check your wiring first.
  • Remove any items connected to pins 0 and 1.
COMPUTER RELATED
  • Ensure you turn off any additional security / antivirus just to test.
  • There may be a problem with the PC try RESTARTING it.
  • You may be selecting the wrong COM port.
  • Avoid cloud/network based installations where possible OR ensure your Network/Cloud software is RUNNING.
  • Clear your browsers CACHE.
  • Close the IDE before using any other serial programs.
  • Preferably install IDE's as ADMINISTRATOR or your OS equivalent
Performing the above actions may help resolve your problem without further help.

Bob.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Bielefeldt

Dropping the usual hints and tips here.

Does device manager actually make the hardware sound when you plug Arduino devices in ?

No, there is no sound when i plugin the ESP8266 device.

If I connect a Wi-Fi dongle, I can see in the device manager window flashes, but when I connect my ESP8266 nothing happens.

It clearly has something to do with the driver, but what, and how to fix it ...

I've used the version you linked to:
"You may not have the correct driver installed. CH340 / 341 or CP2102"

But still no connection or ports available.

ballscrewbob

That may indicate a dead board or and incorrectly configured one.
So many varieties of ESP that an exact model and maybe a decent picture could be of use.

Bob.
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Bielefeldt

I have a running board of the same model. If i connectet to USB - nothing happend, but if i push a bottom, then it sendt a "Push bottom" MQTT signal tom my broker. It works. I have programmed the board with Arduino IDE at the same PC for months ago.

So it is not a dead board.

Here is some pictures of the board, and the running board.

ballscrewbob

That the seemingly not working one is still capable of sending from MQTT.
Then I can only assume there was some form of configuration error at some point.

Most odd that it not seen as the CH340 is quite a robust device.

I honestly am not sure how you would perform a hard reset and reflash the firmware on that.
Maybe somebody else has some more advice ?

Bob.

Bielefeldt

I have tried to connect a Wemos D1 Mini, which has also worked before, but with the same result, no port asignment.

Wemos D1 Mini

ballscrewbob

Is that outer sheath where the enters the connector cracked or peeling as there is a spot of red in the picture.

Maybe the cable has an intermittent fault ?

Bob.

Bielefeldt

Is that outer sheath where the enters the connector cracked or peeling as there is a spot of red in the picture.

Maybe the cable has an intermittent fault ?

Bob.

Hello Bob

A really stupid mistake on my part. Well, I hadn't noticed.

The cable is not at all a real USB cable it turns out. :smiley-confuse:

There are only 2 wires in the cable, only at power cable - probably intended to charge something. Never seen it before, and don't know where I got it from.

Thanks for the help with your falcon look, it was a great help, but also thanks to the other posts. Now my com ports is back to the future.

USB based Power Cable

The Ports is Back again  :)

ballscrewbob

Sorry it took us both a long time to get there but glad you seem to have the answer LOL

Many mico cables are power only and they need to be power and sync/data.
They also go bad very easily.

Bob.

Go Up