Go Down

Topic: Unread post list issue (Read 2162 times) previous topic - next topic

noob314

Dec 03, 2019, 07:26 am Last Edit: Dec 03, 2019, 07:27 am by noob314
It seems that "Unread Posts" doesn't work consistently. Sometimes show none, sometime some new posts, however it seems never full list.

After clicking on "Mark all messages as read" from main page, wait a while and refresh the page in order to spot indication in some section usually watched that new message is shown, then click on "Unread Posts" link. It will usually not be shown, although, sometimes, after some time passed it will show some, however not all new post list. All under the same log session.

Inside settings, all is at default values.

ballscrewbob

Dec 03, 2019, 04:48 pm Last Edit: Dec 03, 2019, 04:49 pm by ballscrewbob
If you click "mark all as read" then it will assume that all sections were read and take it from there.
It will also only show posts you were involved with in some way.
Be that watched or took part in.

IIRC it does not count your post as a new one as it assumes you know what you wrote.

The forum software is not the best in the world and does have some shortcomings but works for what it does.

The same can be said for email alerts which can on occasion come AFTER you have read a topic you were involved with (better late than never approach).

Bob.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

noob314

Hmm...

"Unread Posts" link actually show "Arduino Forum> Recent Unread Topics" page. This is not the same, I presumed here is the bug.

Anyway, rhere is some alert settings as well, however that is not such useful as showning list of new posts regardless the forum section (including ability to filter unwanted), as well it is possibility to press "Mark all as read button".

Yes, the forum software seems not to be the best designed, with the most useful and practical options and indeed all seems a bit confusing...

ballscrewbob

Its not facebook that's for sure  :smiley-lol:

Forums are a different creature to social media and not always an easy transition.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

noob314

Its not facebook that's for sure  :smiley-lol:
I do not use facebook, but other similar forums have such useful options. ;)

Well, it-is what it-is. :)

Go Up