Go Down

Topic: Erratic Behavior Without USB Connection (Read 621 times) previous topic - next topic

ba47

Following my post on " How To Start A Random Task On Power Up", now I'm faced with a new problem.

My setup is a panel with Arduino Uno R3 + two 16 channel PWM servo controllers + 25 servos. Powered by a switching power supply adapter AC 110-240v to DC 5v - 6A - 30W.
The panel has both a switch for complete shut down of power and a PIR sensor which detects motion
when the power switch is on and powers up the panel.

It all works fine when the panel is connected to the USB port of my computer but without the USB connection, the 10 servos connected to the first PWM controller just shake and no task is performed.

I'm stuck and would appreciate your help.

Peterd51

Hi,

People will need a diagram and the sketch to start with.

Peter

ballscrewbob

Please
READ THIS POST to help you get the best out of the forum.

SIMPLE TROUBLESHOOTING.

These steps may also save you some unnecessary time and effort in the forum.

• Always provide as much detail as possible to your issue it may be important.
  • If applicable provide your SKETCH inside CODE TAGS ( </> ) or a CREATE share link.
  • If applicable provide a schematic even if hand drawn.
  • How to insert a picture into your post
  • If applicable provide a proper LINK to the hardware / sensors etc. you are using.

Bob.

[/list]
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

sterretje

@ba47, please check the subtitle of this forum section (I've added the emphasis).
Installation & Troubleshooting -

For problems with Arduino itself, NOT your project
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

UKHeliBob

I am not sure of the best place to deal with such a question but it will get more exposure here than its original location
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

ba47

Ty all for your answers.

Peterd51, ok, I'm attaching wiring diagram and code.

Bob, right, I should have included more info, srry.

streteetje, I thought my problem was with Arduino itself, not just my project.  Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

UKHellBob, I hope you are right and I get some help here.

Please take a look at the attachment to see my wiring diagram. 
I tried following this wiring and have no servo movement without USB connection.
Then I tried (maybe a mistake, but a try) feeding Arduino directly with 5v. through the barrel connector.
Now, running the below sketch on power up, I get 10 shaky servos connected to PWM0 (the first control card) and nothing else.

Here is the simple "sweep" code I'm trying to run :

Code: [Select]

#include <Wire.h>
#include <Adafruit_PWMServoDriver.h>

Adafruit_PWMServoDriver pwm = Adafruit_PWMServoDriver(0x40);   // Initiates library.
Adafruit_PWMServoDriver pwm2 = Adafruit_PWMServoDriver(0x41);   // Initiates library.

#define SERVOMIN  110  // Minimum pulse length count out of 4096.
#define SERVOMAX  588 // Maximum pulse length count out of 4096.

int servoNo = 0; // Defines a counter for servos.

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);       // Starts serial connecton at 9600 baud rate.
  pwm.begin();         // Sends PWM signals.
  pwm.setPWMFreq(60);  // Makes servos run at 60 Hz rate.
  pwm2.begin();         // Sends PWM signals.
  pwm2.setPWMFreq(60);
  delay(20);

for (int myservo = 0; myservo < 11; myservo++)
    pwm.setPWM(myservo, 0, SERVOMIN);
  delay(20);

for (int myservo = 0; myservo < 16; myservo++)
    pwm2.setPWM(myservo, 0, SERVOMIN);
  delay(20);

}

void loop()
{
  for (int pulselen = SERVOMIN; pulselen < SERVOMAX; pulselen++)
  {
    for (servoNo = 0; servoNo < 11; servoNo++)
      pwm.setPWM(servoNo, 0, pulselen);
    delay(1);

for (servoNo = 0; servoNo < 16; servoNo++)
      pwm2.setPWM(servoNo, 0, pulselen);
    delay(1);
  }

for (int pulselen = SERVOMAX; pulselen > SERVOMIN; pulselen--)
  {
    for (servoNo = 0; servoNo < 11; servoNo++)
      pwm.setPWM(servoNo, 0, pulselen);
    delay(1);
    for (servoNo = 0; servoNo < 16; servoNo++)
      pwm2.setPWM(servoNo, 0, pulselen);
    delay(1);

}

}

Wawa

My setup is a panel with Arduino Uno R3 + two 16 channel PWM servo controllers + 25 servos.
Your Fritzing art shows a Mega.