Go Down

Topic: Newcomer Introduction (Read 2270 times) previous topic - next topic

OldRon

Dec 06, 2019, 05:28 am Last Edit: Dec 09, 2019, 01:20 am by OldRon
I've got this covered so I won't be needing any help from you banjo players.

Robin2

Dec 06, 2019, 11:23 am Last Edit: Dec 06, 2019, 11:23 am by Robin2
Welcome. You will need to put a number on "old" if you are to impress us old fogeys here. I'm 67.75 and I'm certainly not the oldest. :)  :)

If you ask a specific question in the appropriate section you are likely to get help - Project Guidance for general queries, Programming if it is a problem you are having with a program of Motors, Mechanics, Power and CNC if it is about the interface with those devices.

This Forum is essentially about helping people with Arduino programming problems. However if your query is really about CNC you may find that you get more useful advice on some of the CNC speciialist forums. I presume you are aware that a huge amount of advice about everything under the sun is available on YouTube.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

OldRon

Welcome. You will need to put a number on "old" if you are to impress us old fogeys here. I'm 67.75 and I'm certainly not the oldest. :)  :)

If you ask a specific question in the appropriate section you are likely to get help - Project Guidance for general queries, Programming if it is a problem you are having with a program of Motors, Mechanics, Power and CNC if it is about the interface with those devices.

This Forum is essentially about helping people with Arduino programming problems. However if your query is really about CNC you may find that you get more useful advice on some of the CNC speciialist forums. I presume you are aware that a huge amount of advice about everything under the sun is available on YouTube.

...R
Robin,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm very knowledgeable of the mechanical aspect of my project and the electronic components I want to control but I know nothing about the Arduino. At this time my interest is in knowing if the Arduino is also capable of receiving and processing input. Have I once again chosen the wrong venue?

Ron

ballscrewbob

No you were moved to the correct section.

Bob.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

At this time my interest is in knowing if the Arduino is also capable of receiving and processing input.
It is. That's what it is for.

But your comment is very vague and the devil is in the detail. What input, and what processing needs to be done?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

MarkT

Some concrete details of the hardware is a good starting point, ideally links to the definitive datasheet, manual or product page for the servo drive and or encoder.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

OldRon

The servo drive is a Yaskawa SGD08AP and it is referred to as being a positioning drive (as opposed to torque/speed drives that are controlled by analog voltage). It can be controlled by three different forms of logic one of which is Step & Direction. Whereas the typical stepper drive system is open loop the servo drive system is closed loop. There are closed loop stepper drive systems but they close the loop in the drive. When a precision point error occurs (encoder feedback trails pulses output) then the stepper drive shuts down and displays an alarm. The typical servo drive systems rely on a DSP board to monitor the encoder feedback and raise an error when the encoder feedback is trailing the output signals by a predetermined number.

I know that the Arduino is capable of controlling a stepper drive. What I want to know is whether or not the Arduino is capable of reading and processing the encoder input. If that is insufficient input then advise me of such and I'll move on.

Ron

Glorymill

Ron,

please excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong, but are you asking if the Arduino can recognise and count pulse input from a position encoder? If so you need to specify how many pulses per second the Arduino will be expected to count with the servo running at full speed.
Looking again at your first post I interpret it as you want to verify that the slave position is tracking the master position command, and that any dynamic positional error is within acceptable limits...again it all comes down to how many pulses you want the Arduino to count/register/recognise per second.

If it's an absolute position encoder then I assume there will be 10 or 12 parallel bits, needing 10 or 12 digital inputs on the Arduino to recognise the machine's position, but again it comes down to how quickly that absolute position is changing.

I know that there are several models of Arduino, some faster than others, some more suited to the faster stuff - but I don't know enough to either recommend one or help further. Perhaps if you posted more details as in my first paragraph then others may be able to help you along.

MM

zoomkat

Who peed in OldRon's cornflakes? Bad dog! Bad Dog!
Google forum search: Use Google Search box in upper right side of this page.
Why I like my 2005 Rio Yellow Honda S2000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWjMvrkUqX0

Robin2

Deleting a Post is very bad manners.

...R

Go Up