Go Down

Topic: Wiring multiple potentiometers to single 5v and gnd (Read 427 times) previous topic - next topic

Cameramantom

Dec 06, 2019, 12:33 pm Last Edit: Dec 06, 2019, 12:37 pm by Cameramantom
Hello,

I am relatively new to electronics/motion control, but have experience in software development.

I have nearly finished building a camera slider using an Openbuilds vslot mini belt driven linear actuator. The stepper motor I am using is run using a uStepper S  (see https://www.ustepper.com/).

I have done all the development using a standard breadboard, and software/hardware are working great.

In simple terms I have four inputs (pots) controlling the movement of the actuator, wired as per attachment (v1.jpg)

I want to put the pots in a little control box (i.e.) tidy it all up and not use the breadboard.

Am i right in thinking its as simple as attaching all the +wires together and all the gnd wires together like in v2.jpg (just to be clear: v2.jpg doesn't show the analogue connections)

thanks for anyones help / input

UKHeliBob

Am i right in thinking its as simple as attaching all the +wires together and all the gnd wires together like in v2.jpg
Yes.  Presumably that is how you have them wired on the breadboard anyway.

I assume that you will also be connecting the wiper pins of the pots to the board  :)
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

Cameramantom

Yes.  Presumably that is how you have them wired on the breadboard anyway.
Excellent, thanks for the rapid confirmation!!

I assume that you will also be connecting the wiper pins of the pots to the board  :)
Yes :) I edited the post to say they were not drawn.

Thanks again

JohnRob

I would suggest in addition you add a 0.01 or 0.1µf cap at each of the analog inputs.  When changing position some pots can be quite electrically noisy.

Also you didn't mention the resistance of the pots.  They cannot draw more current that the board can provide.

BTW;  All the pots do not have to be the same value.

Please do not PM me with thread based messages.  If your thoughts are worth responding,  the group should benefit from your insight.

MarkT

Make sure the pots are linear taper types.  Anything in the 5k to 20k range is a good starting place.
Higher resistance can be noisier, lower will take more supply current.  Those capacitors are a good idea, but if they are awkward to fit try without in the first instance.  If there is too much electrical noise on the pot inputs you might have ro reconsider.  Keep the pot wiring away from the stepper motor wiring.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Paul__B

Actually we generally do not wire things like that.  Too messy.

I won't draw it, but you solder the 5 V and ground to the first pot but before actually soldering, fit a second set of wires to the solder lugs then when soldered, those connect to the second, then the third and so on.  It becomes a "daisy chain".

Go Up