Go Down

Topic: Brute force (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

kissfan4

Ok, so I am brand new to arduino and need some help. I have a Samsung monitor I got second hand and it has a 4 digit pin that locks all functions. The only way to turn it off and on is by plugging and unplugging. Samsung says the only way around it is figure out the pin, or replace the mainboard. Instead of sitting there and typing all 10,000 possible combinations I would like to use an arduino, but I have no idea how to program it. I have an uno, along with the infrared transmitter. How complicated would it be to accomplish what I would like to do

ballscrewbob

There are some other topics on similar things if you use the search option at the upper right.

But to get you started here is a worthy topic.

Bob.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Riva

What model of monitor are you talking about?
Don't PM me for help as I will ignore it.

kissfan4

What model of monitor are you talking about?
Samsung me46a,

Riva

Have you tried
You forgot the PIN code required to set up TV.

To reset the TV back to default "0000", press the remote control buttons in the following sequence in Standby mode.

MUTE → 8 → 2 → 4 → POWER (on)
Or this
Don't PM me for help as I will ignore it.

kissfan4

Have you triedOr this
Yea, I have tried all of the options online. I called Samsung, and since it is a commercial display they said without knowing the pin, the only way around it is replacing the main board. There is no option for a master reset.

wvmarle

I have seen some videos of people doing just that with a bunch of solenoids, each pressing one button.

Now how complicated your project is...
1) how do you enter this pin?
2) how do you confirm this pin?
3) how do you reset to try a new pin?

This has to be answered, in detail: buttons to physically press, screens to physically touch, whatever. That way you can think of what hardware would possibly be useful for this. Then you can buy the hardware and try to make it work so it can enter a pin, confirm it's correct or not, and reset for a next attempt.
When that's working, the full automation of doing 10,000 pins is trivial. But then, in the same time and with less effort you could probably have found the pin by brute forcing it yourself already. After all, 10,000 attempts, say 5 seconds per try, that's 14 hours if it's the very last one. I'd be impressed if you build a project like this from scratch without prior experience in double that time.
Of course building the pin pressing robot is a lot more fun than doing it by hand :-)
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

kissfan4

I have seen some videos of people doing just that with a bunch of solenoids, each pressing one button.

Now how complicated your project is...
1) how do you enter this pin?
2) how do you confirm this pin?
3) how do you reset to try a new pin?

This has to be answered, in detail: buttons to physically press, screens to physically touch, whatever. That way you can think of what hardware would possibly be useful for this. Then you can buy the hardware and try to make it work so it can enter a pin, confirm it's correct or not, and reset for a next attempt.
When that's working, the full automation of doing 10,000 pins is trivial. But then, in the same time and with less effort you could probably have found the pin by brute forcing it yourself already. After all, 10,000 attempts, say 5 seconds per try, that's 14 hours if it's the very last one. I'd be impressed if you build a project like this from scratch without prior experience in double that time.
Of course building the pin pressing robot is a lot more fun than doing it by hand :-)
To enter the pin you have to first press the "lock" button on the remote, then you enter your 4 digits. If it is wrong it says so and automatically clears the entry and allows you to enter the next combination after a short 2-3 second delay. It does not require you to confirm entry, and it does not lock you out after x amount of invalid attempts. I am probably just going to do this manually.

wvmarle

To enter the pin you have to first press the "lock" button on the remote, then you enter your 4 digits.
That'd be 11 solenoids (10 for the numbers, 1 for the OK button).

If it is wrong it says so
How? You hear a voice saying "it's wrong"? A message shown on the display? A bright light shining into your eyes with some eerie voice saying "feeling lucky, punk?"
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

Go Up