Go Down

Topic: Safely assembling my project (Read 534 times) previous topic - next topic

tartarus

Hi,

I am new to electronics, and am looking toward assembling my first project. I will be using a 220v to 24v converter, so part of my project will be high voltage.

I know I must earth my project case itself, and intend to use an IEC Appliance Inlet (or similar), but i don't know what else I need to consider, other than to try to cover all bare wires as much as possible. How do i go about physically separating high voltage components from low, do I need to?

This is for my personal use.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Paul_KD7HB

Are we dealing with AC or DC? Are you building the converter? Are you using 220v mains line voltage and does you mains circuit include a ground connection?

Paul

MorganS

Yes. Keep high voltage away from low voltage.  One of the worst ways to screw up is if a loose wire on the low voltage side gets across to the high voltage side.

You aren't as careful with the 5V wiring so that is likely to be where the fault starts from. If the HV side is a long way away and maybe there is a barrier like the converter module itself filling up most of the space then it is safer.
"The problem is in the code you didn't post."

PerryBebbington

I hate having to say this because I hate having to quash people's enthusiasm; Please don't do this project. It is quite obvious from your question and comments that you do not know enough about electricity to work with mains safely without supervision.
While people can provide answers to your questions we cannot give you the necessary electrical safely training nor can we supervise you and keep you safe.
Please work on a low voltage project, build up your knowledge up to the point where you know why I am saying this.
Don't lose interest because I've said this and don't lose your life by ignoring my advice.

gilshultz

First pay your life insurance and make me a beneficiary! Your description is ambiguous and needs more details.  Is the 220V to 24V converter actually a power supply enclosed in a metal frame? Is it a wall rat?  How many amps are you talking about? If it is in an enclosed frame you probably will be OK but do earth the frame.  Do you have a bud that is an electrician, if so talk to him about the mains and what your code requires.  Consider purchasing a LAB power supply, about $60 on eBay, this will allow you to use the 220V safely and protect your circuit from shorts etc.  This response is to help you get started in solving your problem, not solve it for you.
Good Luck & Have Fun!
Gil

WattsThat

Not bringing mains voltage into your project is the best advice. The only time you want mains inside a project is if you're doing something directly with that voltage, like a light dimmer but those kinds of projects are simply not safe for those that do not understand the inherent dangers. Mains voltage will kill you. Period.

Use an external power supply, there is reason why wall warts and power supply bricks are available in every practical voltage with wattage. Seriously, buy a quality supply from DigiKey or Element14 or other reputable distributor in your country, don't take chances with the Wung-hung-low crap from China. There are plenty of videos on YouTube, especially EEVBlog that will show you how bad and dangerous some of those devices can be.

If you must work with mains, you must properly ground (earth) all metal and ensure you switch the line, not the neutral. Maintain proper color coding (example: blue/brown/yellow-green) and always fuse the the device. Always heat shrink all connection points or use insulated crimp connections. Keep HV away from LV as far as possible, sometimes double insulation is required (tubing or heat shrink over twisted together switch wires as an example).

One last thought: Never use Chinese equipment as an example, something is wrong with that stuff about 99% of the time.
Vacuum tube guy in a solid state world

wvmarle

I am new to electronics, and am looking toward assembling my first project. I will be using a 220v to 24v converter, so part of my project will be high voltage.
Why not using an external, ready made 24V adapter?

Indeed, don't bring mains on your PCB unless you have another use for it. It's so much easier to design a board that only uses low voltage, and connects to an external power brick.
Quality of answers is related to the quality of questions. Good questions will get good answers. Useless answers are a sign of a poor question.

Paul__B

In short, you've been told!  :smiley-roll-sweat:

Go Up