Go Down

Topic: Screw for mounting GY-521 Gyro/Accelerometer (Read 101 times) previous topic - next topic

elpidiovaldez

Dec 08, 2019, 06:55 am Last Edit: Dec 08, 2019, 07:16 am by elpidiovaldez
The GY-521 has mounting holes that fit M3 screws.  Sadly I just wasted an evening trying to get one working before discovering that there is a tiny component very near the mounting screw on the 'vcc side' of the board.  This had been displaced by my screw (and was quite impossible for me to resolder - it is minute !. 

Can anyone recommend a readily available screw with a head small enough to use this mounting hole ?

Seems like crappy design because fixing a gyro well is pretty important to its operation.

EDIT -  I just tried M2.5 x 4mm from Amazon.  It is a sloppy fit on account of the mounting holes being wider than M2.5 but the head does not crush the small capacitor !

Link if anyone needs it https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B012TF5F30/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

pert

I've had a similar problem with one of the mounting holes on the R3 style Arduino boards being too close to the header. What I did was to cut one of the sides off the head of a nylon screw. If you prefer metal screws, you could use a file instead; it just takes a little more time.

I agree that it's very annoying that hardware designers often don't give much (if any) consideration to mounting holes in their designs. In the case of the Arduino R3, there is actually a good reason for it. The original design didn't have the I2C header section that causes the interference. So the choice was between crowding the mounting hole and breaking compatibility with accessories that were designed according to the original mounting hole location.

hammy

Dec 08, 2019, 10:43 pm Last Edit: Dec 08, 2019, 10:46 pm by hammy
Use nylon screws , or just plastic washers under the screw heads .
There are other clip type devices in plastic you can get to mount pcb's
Google PCB mounts, PCB pillars , PCB standoff.

Go Up