Go Down

Topic: Term Project (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

dougp

Now the thing is I would like to avoid buying any physical parts and make the project in a simulation environment.
That, to me, suggests using the serial monitor for input and output.  There'd be some imagination required to implement the time-changing functions.
I don't trust atoms.  They make up everything.

No private consultations undertaken!

John_S

Now the thing is I would like to avoid buying any physical parts and make the project in a simulation environment.
I thought he meant avoid buying an RTC and just use the millis() to keep track of time... power on, demonstrate setting the time and date and done.

pert

What part of "I would like to avoid buying any physical parts and make the project in a simulation environment" is not clear to you all? They are trying to get by without even buying an Arduino board. The simulation software is intended to simulate an Arduino on your computer.

dfq_justas

Dec 09, 2019, 11:12 am Last Edit: Dec 09, 2019, 11:20 am by dfq_justas
I don't have any experience with simulation software for Arduino, but I suspect you are going to end up making your project more difficult by doing this. I would recommend that you price the necessary parts and then make a decision of whether it's really worth trying to save that money by using the simulation.
Unfortunately that might be the case, since my mate and I got given the same task just edited, we did some research and found that Simulators don't have a RTC which basically leans us towards purchasing physical components...Now the good thing is we need the exact same parts and the build will be the same so we just need to work on our codes. I have a electronics shop near me that sells Arduino boards and parts so the gathering shouldn't be an issue.

This should do the trick, right?

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/Tittiamo/clock-set-date-time-0d46a4

dfq_justas

If you are very knowledgeable about the components you expect to connect to the Arduino, then you can probably start testing your code in various ways without the components them selves.
The thing is I'm not...Complete newbie as I said before. Starting testing something I have barely any clue on how to do will only put me in a deeper hole.

6v6gt

Dec 09, 2019, 11:45 am Last Edit: Dec 09, 2019, 11:47 am by 6v6gt
This all looks remarkably familiar. I guess this is the same or similar exercise:
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=652329.0

Robin2

Dec 09, 2019, 02:30 pm Last Edit: Dec 09, 2019, 02:31 pm by Robin2
Complete newbie as I said before. Starting testing something I have barely any clue on how to do will only put me in a deeper hole.
I can't think of any alternative but to start your learning at the beginning and grow out of your newbie status. It will take time and commitment.

Grow your knowledge to the point where testing will be useful rather than an extra complication. All successful programming, from the most trivial to the most complex depends on testing. Test early and often.

Programming is a lot more complex intellectually than (for example) following instructions to build a Lego model. If you are asking a question that is just a small bit more challenging than your present level of knowledge it is generally possible to help. However if you are asking a question that is far beyond your existing capability it is almost impossible to find the common understanding that would be necessary to help you.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

gilshultz

If you a computer engineering student this should be a trivial task. Break it down into parts and solve each part first.  Actually your professor defined the problem very well, I have a feeling the student postponed this until the last moment and did not ask questions when something was presented that he/she did not know. One of the basic things an engineer learns to do to keep the job is to think out of there comfort zone.  You will have to solve this by doing the necessary research etc. Make a flow chart it will answer a lot of your questions and yes you will have to look up the things you do not know but afterwards you will!  If I gave you the code and schematics you would not learn what the professor intends. You are very lucky, when many of us went to school there was no internet, just the library and contacts.  This response is to help you get started in solving your problem, not solve it for you.
Good Luck & Have Fun!
Gil

12Stepper

Here's the brief for ease of reading:

I love #3 under Additional Information... Probably because the faculty know the students will be here in the forum for answers. (OP, could you not even have Tipp-Ex'd out the school name?)

Which reminds me: I wonder how washing machine guy's getting on?

SteveMann

I agree that simulation would likely slow your progress.  I haven't seen a simulator for the Arduino that wouldn't take longer to understand than just plugging the parts into a breadboard.

Don't try to do everything in one step.  Start with basic segments.  You don't say how big the team is, but each member would buy an Arduino board. One would buy an RTC module, one would buy some switches and one would buy an LCD display.  Member one would understand how to write code for the RTC.  Set the time, read the time.  The next team member would understand how to wire buttons to the I/O pins, debounce them and do something when a button is pressed.  The third member would learn how to display text in the LCD.  Once you have all the basics, then as a group, merge the different parts together into a single sketch.

dfq_justas

If you a computer engineering student this should be a trivial task. Break it down into parts and solve each part first.  Actually your professor defined the problem very well, I have a feeling the student postponed this until the last moment and did not ask questions when something was presented that he/she did not know. One of the basic things an engineer learns to do to keep the job is to think out of there comfort zone.  You will have to solve this by doing the necessary research etc. Make a flow chart it will answer a lot of your questions and yes you will have to look up the things you do not know but afterwards you will!  If I gave you the code and schematics you would not learn what the professor intends. You are very lucky, when many of us went to school there was no internet, just the library and contacts.  This response is to help you get started in solving your problem, not solve it for you.
Good Luck & Have Fun!
Gil

I understand those TLDR's I've got...about being an Engineer. That is true not gonna argue with anything just suck it up and do it. Anyways today I was out gathering hardware and got almost everything except the RTC DS1307 chip which I'm gonna order now. Once that arrives I'll build the project from a template (Clock Set Date Time) import the given code into it and work on editing it to suit my task. Then If I struggle and can't do it by researching and testing or any other means I'll come back here. Thanks for your replies guys. :)

12Stepper

got almost everything except the RTC DS1307 chip which I'm gonna order now.
I think (but my memory's a bit foggy) you can run an Arduino as if it had an rtc, without one... it just uses a library to run as an rtc, set the time at start up, and of course lose it when the power goes off. Is it the time library maybe?

If so you can do most of it without the actual chip in hand. Sorry I'm a bit hazy on that.

(How does this project work team wise? I'd be very inclined to just lock myself away and do the bloody thing on my Todd.)

dfq_justas

Dec 09, 2019, 05:12 pm Last Edit: Dec 09, 2019, 05:15 pm by dfq_justas
I think (but my memory's a bit foggy) you can run an Arduino as if it had an rtc, without one... it just uses a library to run as an rtc, set the time at start up, and of course lose it when the power goes off. Is it the time library maybe?

If so you can do most of it without the actual chip in hand. Sorry I'm a bit hazy on that.

(How does this project work team wise? I'd be very inclined to just lock myself away and do the bloody thing on my Todd.)

There is no team, it's a individual task for one person. It's just that my mate got a very similar one so we are trying to figure things out combined. Thanks for the info tho.

12Stepper

There is no team,
Doh sorry my bad... I read this:

I recently got given a task for a Term Project
... as Team Project

Go Up