Go Down

Topic: MSGEQ7 board problem (Read 499 times) previous topic - next topic

JekyllandHyde

I was looking online and wanted to build my own spectrum analyzer visualizer with WS2812/Neopixel strips, Arduino Mega, and a MSGEQ7 chip. According to many online tutorials or build blogs, I need a MSGEQ7 chip for reading the frequencies to split them up for the visualizer. I cannot find this chip anywhere online. I see it in parts that need to be soldered together and assembled, but is it possible to buy a MSGEQ7 chip that has all the components and a 3.5mm jack already installed and the whole thing ready to go? Amazon sells a small part they claim is part of the  I just want some assistance on how to use the MSGEQ7 with Arduino Mega and a microphone for picking up the sound, similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/Adafruit-Electret-Microphone-Amplifier-MAX9814/dp/B00SLYAI9K/ref=pd_sbs_328_5/141-2898492-3100848?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00SLYAI9K&pd_rd_r=699d8957-69eb-4393-98e8-f0d7e6301edc&pd_rd_w=QMlOu&pd_rd_wg=RzQmN&pf_rd_p=5873ae95-9063-4a23-9b7e-eafa738c2269&pf_rd_r=SK5DGK1G48T0P9Q0C27N&psc=1&refRID=SK5DGK1G48T0P9Q0C27N

gilshultz

I did a google search for "MSGEQ7" and got 62,500 results (0.43 seconds), something must be wrong with your google.  I googled for microphone amplifier and got  87,700,000 results (0.68 seconds) From these you can take your choice. Maybe you should get rid of your computer and get a Linux Mint system. This response is to help you get started in solving your problem, not solve it for you.
Good Luck & Have Fun!
Gil
This response is to help you get started in solving your problem, not solve it for you.
Good Luck & Have Fun!
Gil

DVDdoug

If you live in the U.S., Digi-Key has 700 in stock.

SparkFun usually has them and they have a circuit board with two chips (for stereo) and a 3.5mm pass-through connector.

The Adafruit microphone board should work, depending on the sound level, etc.  You do need a board like that, or you'll need a preamp because you only get a few millivolts out of a microphone.  That particular board has automatic gain control which can he helpful for a display/effect but it's no good if you want to make "measurements".

That board (like most microphone boards) has a biased-output so it can be connected directly to an Arduino.  (The Arduino input has to be biased because Arduino can't handle the negative half of an AC audio signal).    But the input to the MSGEQ7 should not be biased so make sure there is a capacitor in series between the microphone-board output and the MSGEQ7 input.

...If this is for music, it's best to make a direct line-level (or headphone-level) connection because the mic will pick-up room noise.

Grumpy_Mike

I did a google search for "MSGEQ7" and got 62,500 results (0.43 seconds), something must be wrong with your google.  I googled for microphone amplifier and got  87,700,000 results (0.68 seconds) From these you can take your choice. Maybe you should get rid of your computer and get a Linux Mint system. This response is to help you get started in solving your problem, not solve it for you.
Good Luck & Have Fun!
Gil

Gil you have excelled yourself with this post. While most of your posts are of little help this one takes that to new heights. Please give up answering posts unless you have something useful to say. And please think again before you post.

Go Up