Go Down

Topic: Is there a way to turn a Mega clone (CH340) into a joystick without flashing? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

anarelle

Hi,
I'm completely new to Arduino. I'm trying to build a flight simulator cockpit and got a clone for an Arduino Mega (CH340) with an Atmega16U2, which I intend to use to make a joystick.
From what I've read so far, I need to use UnoJoy if I want to turn my board into a joystick, but this process is not (easily) reversed. And I fear there's a chance I screw things up (since I'm a newbie). So I was wondering if there is any other alternative I could try, before going ahead with the UnoJoy option.

Thanks!

ieee488

You can't brick your Arduino Mega.

You can always get it back to "original" condition by using DFU.
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/DFUProgramming8U2

I turned my Arduino Uno into a USB keyboard just to try and then went back.

anarelle

Thanks, ieee488 :)
But does this also work for a clone Chinese board? I read that to revert the process needed to use UnoJoy I'd need to get an original board (which I don't have).
Also, I read somewhere that vJoy seems to be an alternative to UnoJoy without the need to flash the board. Is that correct?

ieee488

As far as I can tell DFU requires shorting two pins together so nothing to do with CH340 or not.

sterretje

Hi,
got a clone for an Arduino Mega (CH340) with an Atmega16U2
What is it? A CH340 or an 16u2. For the former, you're out of luck.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

Go Up