Go Down

Topic: The reference has 4 errors (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

hextejas

Come on @hextejas

your esp8266 is not an Arduino branded board and is not running the same processor as a UNO

Why would you expect the documentation for another board to match yours ?

Suggest you read stuff and examples about your board (and possibly look at how things got installed)
Thank you again Jml for all your help, and education. I was not aware that there was such a thing as "Arduino branding".
The 2 boards that I have been using are a
Feather Huzzah and
Nodemcu..

Part of the reason for all of my questions is that I am trying to keep my files organized in such a manner that I do not introduce additional errors, like duplicate library entries. Believe me when I say that I have been looking for any reading material that would
Help me keep things organized.
From this discussion, it sounds like I will need to consider the boards mcg. That's kinda painful.
And thank you again.

hextejas

Dec 10, 2019, 01:45 pm Last Edit: Dec 10, 2019, 03:21 pm by hextejas
it is included.

how are you testing it?

for example, if you have a FTDI FT232RL USB to TTL Serial adapter

you could use the Hardware Serial to communicate with the Serial Console of the IDE and a couple other pins to communicate with the FTDI and another Serial Terminal emulator on your computer and ping pong between the Serial windows though the arduino
In reply to your query as to how I am testing it, I have not yet got to my original sketchbook. I am still working on:
1. Where to keep the libraries.
2. What goes in them
3. What does Arduino recommend.

I had thought that this forum was Arduino sponsored+++(owned?)
So, re how did i test it, after I organize my files and find a correct Software.h file, I also try to find an associated example to see if it compiles cleanly. It feels to me that I am not to the stage yet where I can compile my sketch until I can get an example to work.

I apologize for any and all confusion I might have caused.

hextejas

Thanks for reporting the errors in the example sketch @hextejas! These should definitely be fixed. The people who have the access to edit the documentation don't always read all the posts on the forum so there is a good chance they won't see your report here. The way that has a better chance of bringing it to their attention is to submit an issue to the bug tracker:
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues

In order to make the most useful report, I hope you will take some of the feedback you received here into account:
Yes! but it should be #include.
This is not quite right. Note UKHeliBob's comment in reply #3.
Yes!
It works fine for me once the #include directive is added and the unsupported code using BYTE is replaced. You never properly answered J-M-L's question "how are you testing it"? Which board? How did you have the software serial port connected to your computer? What was the code you ran? It's confusing to me because later in this thread you indicate that you couldn't even compile any sketch that used SoftwareSerial.h, so how could you test it?
Thank you pert, and yes, I really appreciate the comments as they are very helpful. I believe that I answered JMl's questions about how I can test this. I am running linux and I have the board, a Nodemcu,  attached via a USB cable. No other jumpers as of yet.
I am still trying to sort out library and file locations. From what I read just recently, kit looks like I will need to read more at the mfg  site. Specifically Nodemcu.
As an aside, the sketch was intended originally for the Feather Huzzah, I think made by Adafruit. Regretfully, that seems to be a fragile board as I apparently have shorted out 4 of them. Noobieness can be expensive.

J-M-L

basically

- download the IDE
- follow the instructions from this page to add the necessary tools and files for your ESP8266
- don't forget to select your ESP8266 board from Tools > Board menu after installation and the Serial port

Once installed, on my Mac I can see the SoftwareSerial library in

~/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/2.6.1/libraries/SoftwareSerial

Hello - Please do not PM me for help,  others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.
Bonjour Pas de messages privés SVP, postez dans le forum directement pour que ça profite à tous

hextejas

basically

- download the IDE
- follow the instructions from this page to add the necessary tools and files for your ESP8266
- don't forget to select your ESP8266 board from Tools > Board menu after installation and the Serial port

Once installed, on my Mac I can see the SoftwareSerial library in

~/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/2.6.1/libraries/SoftwareSerial

Thank you, thank you, thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for.

J-M-L

with pleasure - don't quote the full text when you answer.. it makes it difficult to read.
Hello - Please do not PM me for help,  others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.
Bonjour Pas de messages privés SVP, postez dans le forum directement pour que ça profite à tous

Go Up