Go Down

Topic: BLE Sense powered by battery? (Read 2711 times) previous topic - next topic

Biomechanist

I picked up an 800 mAh lipo battery and a generic 3962 chip for charging. I don't think that component is relevant in my question but just mentioning it for disclosure.

When the battery discharges to about 3.8v the board loses power. The battery is connected to pins 15/14. Other components such as an OLED screen are still powered on.

I'm guessing this has something to do with not enough current? What is the recommended way to power the board through the range of the battery operating voltage? I believe the 3962 will cut out at 2.6v which is fine.

Klaus_K

Dec 11, 2019, 08:16 am Last Edit: Dec 11, 2019, 08:17 am by Klaus_K
The Vin pin is connected to a MPM3610 Step-down converter. Its Operating input voltage is 4.5V to 21V. It has a undervoltage lockout of typical 3.9V. That's why your board stops working.

Check out the documentation on the website including schematics and some power recommendation

https://store.arduino.cc/arduino-nano-33-ble-with-headers

Batteries, Pins and board LEDs

Batteries: the Nano 33 BLE has no battery connector, nor charger. You can connect any external battery of your liking as long as you respect the voltage limits of the board.

Vin: This pin can be used to power the board with a DC voltage source. If the power is fed through this pin, the USB power source is disconnected. This pin is an INPUT. Respect the voltage limits to assure the proper functionality of the board.

3.3V: This pin outputs 3.3V through the on-board voltage regulator. Note: for ultra low-power functionality, you should cut the 3V3 jumper on the back of the board, and use an external battery at 3V3.

Biomechanist

The Vin pin is connected to a MPM3610 Step-down converter. Its Operating input voltage is 4.5V to 21V. It has a undervoltage lockout of typical 3.9V. That's why your board stops working.

Ah, thank you. I wondered about the 21V max input voltage on the spec, but I didn't find the above info that you  provided. This makes sense however. I'll try running two batteries in series and see how that improves the battery life.

Go Up