(solved)Non-backlight numeric display controllable from Arduino?

Does anyone know of a non-backlit, numeric LCD display that has an Arduino library available for it?

I am looking to make a replacement for a simple timer that my father uses to time how long common trips in the car take. The one he has uses membrane switches that are failing and often trigger from vibrations, starting or stopping the timer at random. A backlit or 7 segment display is a non-starter though, because it needs to run for a long time on alkaline batteries.

There are tons of backlit displays, but I just want one of those non-backlit (reflective) displays, which can show numbers (like a 7-segment led display). Anyone know of such a part?

Have not been successful googling for one - it seems like most of them are difficult to control, and that there aren't libraries for them. I feel like there must be a display like this that people use with Arduino routinely...

Edit: after considerable searching, I found something that i think will work - HT1621. Got some on order, though they won't come in time for xmas.

DrAzzy:
The one he has uses membrane switches that are failing and often trigger from vibrations, starting or stopping the timer at random.

Replace the membrane switches with real ones?

It's going to be hacked anyway ...