Go Down

Topic: Communicating with USB w/ Uno (Read 2406 times) previous topic - next topic

justcunn

Yes, it appears this could be out of my reach for now, which is definitely a bit disappointing as we were to be entering this into a competition, and I'm not too proficient in programming myself.

Sorry, I'm dragging this out, but in what way are hardware and software linked. In the code, it doesn't seem to be too reliant on hardware and on the surface, looks quite easy to tweak around. I know this probably isn't the case.

I understand this isn't your field but I appreciate your help nonetheless.

justcunn

Yeah, I may have to scrap this, I'm not really proficient in programming completely from scratch.

Sorry for dragging this out again, but would the layout of a PCB affect the software (obviously it does for certain things like port/pin numbers)? The code on the surface looks very adaptable. I also wouldn't be using half the features in that project.

I understand this isn't your field, but I appreciate your help nonetheless.

justcunn

Sorry for the double reply, it wouldn't show up for me at first.

ieee488

I wish I can help.
Not something I know much about.

I am not sure entering a competition something that someone else did as a master's thesis would be ethical to do.

pert

is 'Serial' the two dedicated pins?
The ATmega328P which is the primary microcontroller on your Uno has one hardware serial port. That serial port is connected to Arduino pins 0 and 1 on the Uno. It is also connected to the USB to TTL serial adapter chip on the Uno, which is in turn connected to the Uno's USB socket.

Would I be able to use my USB to communicate?
I don't know what you mean by that.

If I may ask one more question, does the USB on the Uno allow for serial communication?
The communication between the USB to TTL serial adapter chip on the Uno and the computer is USB communication. However, a virtual serial port is created on the computer, which makes it seem like it is serial communication between the Uno and the computer.

justcunn

Basically what I mean by can I use my USB to communicate is, once I load the code onto the Uno and close the sketch, would I still be able to receive data from the host device, basically turning into any other peripheral device like a keyboard per say.

E.g. If I wanted the computer to give me a letter to display in Braille, could I do that without the Arduino Sketch open?

Also (ieee448) I appreciate your help and taking your time to respond to me!

ieee488

Basically what I mean by can I use my USB to communicate is, once I load the code onto the Uno and close the sketch, would I still be able to receive data from the host device, basically turning into any other peripheral device like a keyboard per say.

E.g. If I wanted the computer to give me a letter to display in Braille, could I do that without the Arduino Sketch open?

You can anything you want that the Arduino can do as long as your sketch is written to do it.

An Arduino without a sketch doesn't do much.

Your questions indicate that you need to start small and learn.

pert

Basically what I mean by can I use my USB to communicate is, once I load the code onto the Uno and close the sketch, would I still be able to
The Arduino IDE only compiles and uploads the program to the Uno. Once that program is uploaded, it runs on the ATmega328P microcontroller of the Uno. So all you need to do is supply power to the Uno and it runs the program, even if there is no connection to your computer. The Uno is kind of like a little cheap computer with very limited resources.

Go Up