Go Down

Topic: Is there a "Remember Me" option for this forum? (Read 3082 times) previous topic - next topic

JohnRob

I check in often and it would be nice if the website would remember my credentials and log me in without going through the login process.  Is this possible?

Thanks
John
Please do not PM me with thread based messages.  If your thoughts are worth responding,  the group should benefit from your insight.

sterretje

Except for one PC (I think that I accidentally changed a setting), all my devices do remember me.

If I login from too many, on some I will have to login again.
If you understand an example, use it.
If you don't understand an example, don't use it.

Electronics engineer by trade, software engineer by profession. Trying to get back into electronics after 15 years absence.

ballscrewbob

Dec 13, 2019, 03:10 pm Last Edit: Dec 13, 2019, 03:11 pm by ballscrewbob
Agree with sterretje in that I don't have any problems being remembered.

There could be a few causes and from memory they all come down to items at the user end.

Additional security used can on occasion cause these types of issue.
Clean up utilities can also be another source but most have a function to allow certain websites to be remembered.
Corporate and EDU networks can also give rise to these sorts of problem.

With those in mind...
more detail about your setup would be useful.

Bob.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

JohnRob

Dec 13, 2019, 06:17 pm Last Edit: Dec 13, 2019, 06:20 pm by JohnRob
Guys, thanks for the replies.

First let me be sure I am talking about the same thing.

When I go to the forum.arduino.cc  web address,   I have to click on the "sign in" icon in the upper right corner.  I am then presented with another sign in page where my name and password are pre filled.  I click OK and I am logged in.

When I go to the Hubitat forum,  I am already signed in and have to do nothing.

In the grand scheme of things it is not a big deal, but if auto sign in is able to be used I would like to use ie.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I am using Chrome on Win10/64.   I've set the browser to delete cookies to all sites not listed in the settings.

My Cookies settings for Arduino are:

I do see the Arduino cookies are 0 bytes, but not sure why and what that means.  Perhaps I will delete them and see if the replacements contain info.

I included the Habitat because it remembers me and logs me in automatically.

@sterretje

If I login from too many, on some I will have to login again.
I'm not sure what limitation this might be.

Thanks
John
Please do not PM me with thread based messages.  If your thoughts are worth responding,  the group should benefit from your insight.

ballscrewbob

The only time I have to go through the two step authentication :-

Not logged in so have to hit sign in.
Then hit the login with pre filled fields.

Is when I have cleared the CACHE regardless of browser.
But it is less so since I allowed some cookies.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

ballscrewbob

BTW some people may see a very minor avatar bug where the users avatar does not always show during or just after a sign in.

Page refresh will almost always fix that and it does not seem to affect everyone.

JohnRob

@ballscrewbob

Thanks, I'll keep picking at the browser settings.

John

wildbill

There's something odd about the signin process - I use three devices to view the site. On my Mac, I will usually be asked to sign in every twenty four hours or so - it's not consistent, I may manage two days before being challenged - usually when I've just typed out some long reply so that the site can throw it away.

On my iPad, I can go days (seven or more) without being asked to authenticate.

On my Ubuntu powered laptop, I get challenged every day. I don't use it much for Arduino so I'm not clear how long it really goes between invalidating my credentials but I'd guess that it's a single day.

It's annoying - I can't see why the site is so picky about reauthenticating and so inconsistent between devices.

I carefully copied the text of this post to the clipboard because I knew that the site would pick this very moment to log me out and to no-one's surprise, it did!

ballscrewbob

Dec 14, 2019, 03:26 pm Last Edit: Dec 14, 2019, 03:27 pm by ballscrewbob
Hi Bill

There is a set timeout for being logged in.
That said there it is only a simple method they use and can be circumvented by some browser settings IIRC.

A lot does depend on the browser used, browser version, browser add-ons, and the privacy settings etc etc etc.
Between all those there are too many variables to give any real answer.

I only use win 7 or 10 for the forum and usually just chrome with settings synced across so it is not an issue here. As said I clean up a lot while testing for Arduino so the challenge only happens when I clean up and because I want to be challenged.

I can ask on Monday if you want the actual set period just to be sure ?

Bob.

Go Up