Go Down

Topic: Arduino 220VAC to 0 - 60VAC driver. Impossible?  (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

bogus105

The whole thing behind is i need to drive a 'smart tint' / 'smart film'. These are sticked to the window and are milky when not powered. If you apply sine @ ca 60VAC (need to confirm frequency yet) it become almost fully transparent.
I plan to make multi channel driver to be able to control, say, eight windows each one with its own transparency level.

herbschwarz

That sounds like a liquid crystal application.
Why not use a Variac?
Herb

JohnRob

I plan to make multi channel driver to be able to control, say, eight windows each one with its own transparency level.
I'm trying to understand if this is a hobby project, commercial project or a single installation trying to go the low cost route.  I would have different answers to each.

For commercial I would design a class-D amplifier with a high frequency output transformer and filter that can provide the voltage(s) you need.

For a hobby I would purchase a single class-D amplifier (perhaps on ebay) then drive a 120V/12V transformer backward.

Note: 60V => 60 * 1.414 = 85 volts peak.

You could generate a generate an 12v sinewave power the transformer and get

12V X 120 / 24 = 60v.

Remember this is RMS, you will have to pick input power to generate the 18 - 20 volt peak you will need

To make the whole system safe and reliable is not a trivial task.

In the US, "low voltage, aka Class 2" wiring can be used.  This is doorbell, thermostat, low voltage LED usage and can use a simple wiring method.

At 60Vac I believe you are no longer Class 2 so your wiring requirements will be more stringent.

NEC Class 2

Hope this helps.
Please do not PM me with thread based messages.  If your thoughts are worth responding,  the group should benefit from your insight.

Go Up