Go Down

Topic: Reload Chrome to unfreeze the serial monitor (Read 699 times) previous topic - next topic

ninora

Dec 26, 2019, 09:51 am Last Edit: Dec 27, 2019, 11:23 am by ninora
Restarting GSM MKR 1400 connected to laptop (details below), serial monitor stays black even if was showing data before the restart.
To get the monitor display data again I open and close the monitor several times, in most cases it will not help and I will have to reload the entire Chrome page.

EDIT: In many cases I have to reload in order to be able to compile otherwise it stays in Busy state forever.

• Google Chrome
  • [color=var(--cr-secondary-text_-_color)]Version 79.0.3945.88 (Official Build) (64-bit)[/color]
  • Windows 10 Home Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763
  • LENOVO System Model   81C4
  • 16.0 GB RAM  6.77 GB Available Virtual Memory

ballscrewbob

It is Christmas so I would not expect any fast response from the team.

Could you share the sketch link please.
Just in case somebody can spot something in there.

Bob.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

ninora

Merry Christmas Bob and everyone!

Makes sense, I understand the logic but unfortunately I can't share the sketch as it's a commercial project.

ballscrewbob

Ok I understand too you can always do that privately if needs be.

Do you have anything along the lines of " while serial " in your sketch ?

Also linking you into these posts.
I know some of it will not apply.

Also having CREATE open for long periods can also cause some minor issues.
Cache clearing is usually a good option at those points.

The serial monitor in CREATE is not as mature as the one in the regular desktop IDE.

Bob.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

ninora

Clearing the cache is not making any difference, the only thing that works every time is reloading the page but it comes with a price, not always the reloaded code includes the last changes.

I do have a while serial with a timeout for when the device is field installed. I an also delaying extra 500mS to make sure the connection is there so I don't lose the first output to serial.

Code: [Select]
  DEBUG_MODE = true;
  int t = 20;
  Serial.begin(115200);
  if (DEBUG_MODE) {
    while (!Serial) {
      sleep(500);
      if ( (t--) == 0 ) break;
    }
  }
  sleep(500);

smellai

Hi @ninora,
I think I found out a couple of issues in the web application and they should be fixed in the current version 6.0.1. Could you please try again? Be sure to have the updated version (check the 'help' sidebar)
Thanks for your report!

ninora

Hi @ninora,
I think I found out a couple of issues in the web application and they should be fixed in the current version 6.0.1. Could you please try again? Be sure to have the updated version (check the 'help' sidebar)
Thanks for your report!
Version 6.03, looks much better, thanks a lot and I will get back here if otherwise.

ninora

Hello @smellai,
Recently the monitor is showing the content sent by the board twice.
I tried 115200 and 9600 bps, same thing.
Best,
Nino

smellai

Jan 14, 2020, 10:38 am Last Edit: Jan 14, 2020, 10:40 am by smellai
Hi @ninora,
I can't reproduce your issue with a simple example, it could be that you have 2 plugins running at the same time maybe.

ninora

@smellai, 
Right on the spot, I had 2 plugins running. 
Thanks!

Go Up