Cyberpunk goggles: requesting assistance with LED program

Hi, everyone :slight_smile:

I'm attempting to make a pair of cyberpunk goggles for myself and want to light them up with 8 RGB LEDs set to orange color. My end goal is to have these LEDs switched on and off with a button switch and for them to fade up in brightness quickly and then fade back down to a medium brightness in order to replicated a "powering on" effect, then to fade between subtle changes in the hue from red to yellow and back on a slow loop.

Currently I've been able to write a program that, after pushing a button switch, will put the LEDs through the initial fade up/fade down sequence and then hold the luminescence stable until the button switch is pushed again.

The problem I'm having is that if I attempt to put them into a "for" loop beyond the "power up" sequence so that they pulse, I'm unable to get the LEDs to exit out of the loop when I press the button switch to turn the LEDs off. As it is I am unable to get the "power up" sequence to abort if I press the button switch again; I have to wait until it resolves.

Model used: Arduino MEGA 2560

Whatever help you offer is very much appreciated. Here is my code, minus the pulsing "for" loop because I can't exit it anyway:

int SWITCH = 3;
int redLED = 6;
int greenLED = 9;                
bool cat = true;      //named cat because booleans remind me a little of Schrödinger's cat :P

void setup() 
{
  pinMode(SWITCH, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(redLED, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(greenLED, OUTPUT);
}

void loop()
{
  power_on_effect();
}

void power_on_effect()
{
  if (digitalRead(SWITCH) == LOW && cat == true)
  {
    int redValue = 0;
    int greenValue = 0;

for (int fadeValue = 0 ; fadeValue <= 249; fadeValue += 10)
    {
      redValue += 10;
      greenValue = (redValue * .12);
      analogWrite(redLED, redValue);
      analogWrite(greenLED, greenValue);
      delay(30);
    }

for (int fadeValue = redValue ; fadeValue >= 120; fadeValue -= 10)
    {
      redValue -= 10;
      greenValue = (redValue * .12);
      analogWrite(redLED, redValue);
      analogWrite(greenLED, greenValue);
      delay(30);
    } 

cat = !cat;
    delay(0);
  }

if (digitalRead(SWITCH) == LOW && cat == false)
  {
    analogWrite(redLED, 0);
    analogWrite(greenLED, 0);
    cat = !cat;
    delay(200);  
  }    
}

Each time the for loop does a pass, read the state of the button and if the button is depressed break out of the for loop, is one possible way of doing things.