Go Down

Topic: Norway and Australia (Read 7784 times) previous topic - next topic

ardly

It is only 2/Jan and Norway has just broken the record for its highest January temperature, it is 25 (twenty-five) degrees above the seasonal average!

In Norway, until now a cold country, 10% of vehicles are electric.

Meanwhile in Australia politicians still seem to be defending their pro-coal stance. It is estimated that so far 500 million animals have died in the bush fires there, and new fire warnings continue to be issued. All Australian states have been experiencing +40C temperatures and, apart from the fires, wild animals are also dying in numbers simply because of the high ambient temperature.

The world is flat, it is only 8,000 years old, NASA never landed men on the moon, climate change is a myth.

What on earth does it take for some politicians to waken up to the facts and the gravity and urgency of the present situation.

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley

Qdeathstar

A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

Robin2

Sadly I am inclined to agree with @Qdeathstar.

Humans don't seem to be able to put "profit" to one side and be content with "enough" rather than "more". Perhaps it's our genes which evolved when the search for more was necessary for survival.

Yes I know well that some humans can be selfless - but they seem to be a small minority, or perhaps they are only selfless about a narrow range of things.

Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die. Perhaps human intelligence is a poor indicator of long term species survival.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Qdeathstar

Jan 02, 2020, 11:09 pm Last Edit: Jan 02, 2020, 11:10 pm by Qdeathstar
Well. I disagree about the long term survival part. Even if global warming causes the death of 3/4 of the human species it will still have a very healthy population.

I think famine due to global warming and fast spreading diseases due to dense population and over use of antibiotics are going to claim enough humans prior to the earth being permanently changed into Venus.  But not enough as to cause the extinction of man. We are pretty adaptable.

Robin2

Well. I disagree about the long term survival part. Even if global warming causes the death of 3/4 of the human species it will still have a very healthy population.
You may be right - but 5 billion deaths is a very unpleasant prospect - just because humans aren't prepared to compromise. Like that stupid Bush man stirring up trouble with Iran.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

dougp

Like that stupid Bush man stirring up trouble with Iran.
Iran shoots down U.S. drone.  Iran damages Saudi Arabia's oil facilities.  Iran mines international shipping.  Iran aids Hezbollah.  Iran dedicated to the destruction of Israel.  Iran kills U.S. contractor.  Iran attacks U.S. embassy (again).

Some Iranians celebrate the killing of Soleimani.

Who's stirring?
I don't trust atoms.  They make up everything.

No private consultations undertaken!

thehardwareman

The current minister of energy claim that Norwegian oil is a part of the CO2-solution! Believe it or not. I guess if you repeat a lie many times it become true.

As one in the current government said "Every drop [of oil] shall up". But the truth is that it's only about the money.

Robin2

Iran shoots down U.S. drone.
What was the drone doing in the first place.
In the second place it's just a machine.

Iran damages Saudi Arabia's oil facilities.
Isn't that a matter for the Saudis - they are not exactly defenceless

Iran mines international shipping.
If the mines are in international waters then just sweep them up

Iran aids Hezbollah.  Iran dedicated to the destruction of Israel.
The Israelis bring a lot of that on themselves by their abominable treatment of the Palestinians. It may even be the root cause of the other issues

Iran kills U.S. contractor.
Was the contractor doing military work? Or was he just collateral damage - which never seems to count when the US does it.

Iran attacks U.S. embassy (again)
Close the embassy

...R

TomGeorge

Meanwhile in Australia politicians still seem to be defending their pro-coal stance. It is estimated that so far 500 million animals have died in the bush fires there, and new fire warnings continue to be issued. All Australian states have been experiencing +40C temperatures and, apart from the fires, wild animals are also dying in numbers simply because of the high ambient temperature.

What on earth does it take for some politicians to waken up to the facts and the gravity and urgency of the present situation.
500million where did that come from?
Our pollies have been standing out in the sun too long.
Tom..... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

Robin2

Our pollies have been standing out in the sun too long.
Maybe it's time to give the country back to its rightful owners ?

...R

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL

The current minister of energy claim that Norwegian oil is a part of the CO2-solution! Believe it or not. I guess if you repeat a lie many times it become true.
Well, yes - by taking the nasty sticky stuff out of the ground, you make huge voids that you can then use for CO2 sequestration.
Duh.
Please don't PM technical questions - post them on the forum, then everyone benefits/suffers equally

dougp

If the mines are in international waters then just sweep them up
Not the water, actual ships, with people aboard.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/13/politics/us-images-iranian-boat-removing-mine/index.html

Besides, if they were in the water I guess one wouldn't know they were there until some innocent passerby's ship unexplainedly goes BOOM!

Isn't that a matter for the Saudis - they are not exactly defenceless
Beside the point.  The point is an illustration of Iranian troublemaking.

The Israelis bring a lot of that on themselves by their abominable treatment of the Palestinians. It may even be the root cause of the other issues
So that's justification to wipe an entire people from the Earth?

Close the embassy
Party A attacks an embassy (sovereign territory) belonging to party B situated in party C's country.  What is party A doing in party C's country to begin with?

Was the contractor doing military work? Or was he just collateral damage - which never seems to count when the US does it.
Again, why is party A attacking nationals of party B in party C's country?
I don't trust atoms.  They make up everything.

No private consultations undertaken!

Qdeathstar

Tom, bugs are animals too.

Robin2

Referring to Replies #7 and #11

I was trying to make the point that the USA perspective on the world is not the only valid one.

...R

larryd

Jan 04, 2020, 07:15 pm Last Edit: Jan 04, 2020, 07:15 pm by larryd
Referring to Replies #7 and #11

I was trying to make the point that the USA perspective on the world is not the only valid one.

...R
Might means right. :(

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

Go Up