Go Down

Topic: Norway and Australia (Read 7568 times) previous topic - next topic

Qdeathstar

It's the only one that matters to me, robin...

#americanAF
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

Qdeathstar

But sand flees don't deserve a perspective

Robin2

It's the only one that matters to me, robin...
That's disappointing. This is a multinational Forum and I had hoped it would help in small way to bring people together towards a common set of values.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ardly

Again, why is party A attacking nationals of party B in party C's country?

Thread hijack, thread hijack, go and start your own thread elsewhere.

This one was about Norway ( a cold country ) having 10% electric cars and Australia having a 3 year drought, record breaking temperatures, literally being on fire and their politicians still supporting the coal industry and shrugging climate change off as a myth!!!

Anyway did party B not actually invade party C and has party C not been telling party B to F off both before and after party B decided to invade C ? In fact are party C not now welcoming party A as a friend who is "an enemy or our enemy" ?

I have a vivid recollection of an interview before Iraq was invaded in which the person speaking said something along the lines of; whatever we think of Sadam ( and I am really, really not saying we don't like him ) we hate the USA.

I remember thinking that this did not bode well for any invasion of Iraq which seemed to be a thinly veiled pretext for controlling oil in Iraq and getting forces close to the border with Iran. It has been 16 years since Iraq was invaded to overthrow the despotic tyrant Saddam Hussein - when are the locals going to come out to welcome the liberators?
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley

Qdeathstar

That's disappointing. This is a multinational Forum and I had hoped it would help in small way to bring people together towards a common set of values.

...R
Code: [Select]

Credulous at best
Your desire to believe in
Angels in the hearts of men
Pull your head out of your hippie haze
And give a listen

TomGeorge

Jan 05, 2020, 06:20 am Last Edit: Jan 05, 2020, 06:32 am by TomGeorge
Hi,

Are you guys in the rest of the  world aware that you are getting more facts about our fires than we are.
This is not a fire, its a furnace.

4mill hectares = 9.8mill acres = 15,400 sq miles.
Tom... :)
Everything runs on smoke, let the smoke out, it stops running....

larryd

Jan 05, 2020, 06:55 am Last Edit: Jan 05, 2020, 07:00 am by larryd
Tom, we had something similar a few years back, horrible situation.

Cann't even image what you people are going through.

Sent some 80 fire fighters from Canada down to help with fighting the fires.

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

Robin2

I believe what is really needed in Australia is water.

If my memory is correct in one of Jared Diamond's books he commented on the fact that the early settlers to Australia overlooked the fact that it is a very dry continent - quite unlike the Europe they had travelled from.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

TomGeorge

Jan 05, 2020, 05:41 pm Last Edit: Jan 05, 2020, 05:41 pm by TomGeorge
As with the Californian wildfires, our bushfires are driven my strong winds and minimal access to the fire zones.
NSW fires are in the Great Dividing Range, Blue Mountains, all the fighters can do is protect assets, protect people and wait till the fire reaches their closest access points.

A good hot strong northerly will make just about anything burn, hot enough to melt steel and vapourise aluminium.

Where I was born ,its flat plains, and even with very little dry ground cover a fire will get away, fire balls and flying embers are the most danger.
They can get into buildings and under roofs, or allow a fire to jump great distances without burning anything in between.

All I can do is donate money to the firey's relief funds that have been setup.
As in a lot of countries, most of the force is made  up of volunteers.

Tom..

TomGeorge

Jan 06, 2020, 06:31 am Last Edit: Jan 06, 2020, 06:36 am by TomGeorge
Hi,
The view down my street this afternoon, and the view over looking  the city of Ballarat Victoria.
Smoke from bushfires in Tasmania. 700kms away.

The smoke smells faintly of coal burning, its the Huon Pine trees in Tasmania.
Tom... :)

Coding Badly

I disagree about the long term survival part.
The Unites States and Russia have enough nuclear weapons to easily permanently eliminate all human life.  Which has been true since Reagan's second term.  The United States has a president that brings new meaning to the phrase "lunatic fringe".  Basic facts contradict your personal opinion.

Bear in mind humans have inhabited this planet a very very very tiny fraction of its history and that this planet has already had more than one significant extinction event.  The difference this time around is we're driving the bus.

TomGeorge

Jan 06, 2020, 08:40 am Last Edit: Jan 06, 2020, 08:41 am by TomGeorge
Mutual(ly) assured destruction (MAD) is a doctrine of military strategy and national security policy in which a full-scale use of nuclear weapons by two or more opposing sides would cause the complete annihilation of both the attacker and the defender (see pre-emptive nuclear strike and second strike). It is based on the theory of deterrence, which holds that the threat of using strong weapons against the enemy prevents the enemy's use of those same weapons. The strategy is a form of Nash equilibrium in which, once armed, neither side has any incentive to initiate a conflict or to disarm.
The term "mutual assured destruction" was coined by Donald Brennan, a strategist working in Herman Kahn's Hudson Institute in 1962.
MAD since 1962.

Robin2

The difference this time around is we're driving the bus.
For some definition of "driving"  :)

...R

PerryBebbington

What on earth does it take for some politicians to waken up to the facts and the gravity and urgency of the present situation.
If a man's living depends upon him not learning something then he will not learn it.

PerryBebbington

Tom,
Thanks for the personal account and photos, makes it more real coming from someone I know, if only through this forum. Much appreciated. ++Karma; and I hope you are safe.

Go Up