Go Down

Topic: Help a brother out, please :)  (Read 630 times) previous topic - next topic

TheApprentice

Hello, I'm currently starting a college project in electronic design and am looking for some guidance on how to achieve my project design.

I'm looking to create a device which can tell me the pin out of my wiring for multiple wires (4 core, 8 core, 10 core, 16 core, 20 core)
I plan to use an arduino mega microcontroller to achieve this.

As an example say I have a 8 core cable with a male connector on one end and a female connector on the other end. I want to be able to determine the pin out of my cable by plugging both ends into my product.

I want it to display something like this...
Male/Female
Pin 1. / Pin 5
Pin 2. / Pin 6
Pin 3. / Pin 7
Pin 4. / Pin 8
Pin 5. / Pin 1
Pin 6. / Pin 2
Pin 7. / Pin 3
Pin 8. / Pin 4

This is my first time using an arduino so I'm not very clued up on how I can achieve this product but any guidance or tips on how I can achieve this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul_KD7HB

Jan 10, 2020, 04:16 pm Last Edit: Jan 11, 2020, 05:45 pm by Paul_KD7HB
Hello, I'm currently starting a college project in electronic design and am looking for some guidance on how to achieve my project design.

I'm looking to create a device which can tell me the pin out of my wiring for multiple wires (4 core, 8 core, 10 core, 16 core, 20 core)
I plan to use an arduino mega microcontroller to achieve this.

As an example say I have a 8 core cable with a male connector on one end and a female connector on the other end. I want to be able to determine the pin out of my cable by plugging both ends into my product.

I want it to display something like this...
Male/Female
Pin 1. / Pin 5
Pin 2. / Pin 6
Pin 3. / Pin 7
Pin 4. / Pin 8
Pin 5. / Pin 1
Pin 6. / Pin 2
Pin 7. / Pin 3
Pin 8. / Pin 4

This is my first time using an arduino so I'm not very clued up on how I can achieve this product but any guidance or tips on how I can achieve this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Begin by writing down the EXACT steps you would use if you did the test manually. Would you use some type of testing equipment or what? When you get that done, you are well on your way to knowing what you want the Arduino to do.

Paul

Peter-CAD-HST

Hello Mr. X

here comes a quick cooking recipe

1. Selection - Arduino Nano - Uno - Mega
2. Study tutorials for digital i/o
3. and derive the application program from it

Good luck

Peter
KISS Q&D - keep calm and carry on - mind the gap - beware of sharks! -

6v6gt

Google for Arduino Cable Tester.

If it is a simple straight through cable, i.e. not a loom with internal joins, wired doubling back etc., you can do it without any external components.

At end A of the cable, set all connected pins except one to input_pullup. The remaining pin set to LOW.
At end B of the cable, set all connected pins to input and systematically scan the B pins for the LOW pin (all the others will be HIGH because of the pullup resistors at end A).
Repeat this for all cores of end A.

Go Up