USB Host Shield

Hi, everyone, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I cannot seem to find a good tutorial or website on attaching a USB Host Shield to an Arduino. I have an Arduino Duemilanove, if that makes a difference. The USB Host Shield did not come with an instruction manual, so I'm lost. Any help? I suspect that I'm going to need to do some soldering, but is there any way not to?

There appears to be lots here about the shield.

I would assume that you plug it into the arduino in the same way as any other shield, then use Serial.print(). Then again, you can 'talk' over the USB port without the shield, so there must be more to it...

Onions.

Thanks for the reply. However, you said that you plug it in as with any other shield... But the problem is, I am a complete Arduino newbie and have never used shields before. I don't even know where to begin or what hardware to use.

I have not used a shield either. I have a half-made LOL-shield on my desk, but I haven't completed and played with it yet.

If you have an arduino uno, you should notice that the board has a similar same shape as the shield. There will either be connectors round the edge of the shield, or holes to solder them in. To connect it to your arduino, you simply slot the connectors into the connectors on your arduino. As this picture shows, the shield sits on top of the arduino. You program the arduino to communicate with the shield (check out the examples from the first posts link).

Onions.

And, where do I find connectors?

Thanks again for your reply.

If there are none on the shield, you'll need to buy some. these are what you will need, although you will need to cut them to size. Any similar set of male connector strips should do the job. Depending on where you are, you may be able to get a set from your local shop cheaper.

http://www.skpang.co.uk/catalog/break-away-headers-straight-36-way-p-546.html
http://www.sparkfun.com/ (They'll be somewhere here).

Onions.

Thanks!!!!!!! :slight_smile:

Don't know if you have seen this, but it could be of interest to you. As it says, it is a library for the USB host shield. You should be able to have some fun with it! :slight_smile:

Onions.