Go Down

Topic: Saving data to a real Harddrive (Read 19988 times) previous topic - next topic

mmcp42

there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

focalist

Well, in time I may be able to answer this.. I have one of those CH375B USB host modules, but haven't used it yet.

As I understand, it does buffer for itself and uses FAT32.. so maybe not a terabyte, but a good number of gigs anyway..  it's designed for hosting USB pen drives, not raw SD card.  Since it's that kind of interface, I figure that an external HDD uaing the same interface "ought" to work..

skyjumper

If you really need to talk to an actual hard drive, you're better off with an ARM card running Linux.

CrossRoads

I don't know, seems a little overkill.
My little Neuros Audio has an 80GB hard drive, and it doesn't use that.
For downloading from PC there is a USB2 connection.
For MP3 playback, it controls the drive directly.
http://open.neurosaudio.com/extra/NeurosSchematics.zip

Wow, that's a lot of parts!
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

skyjumper

I see it more as a software issue. If you need to build a production device and keep each unit cheap, then maybe its overkill because you can write the code and then ship it with each device. But implementing a file system and other support code to talk to a hard drive is going to be a lot of work. Linux has it all there for you, and its free. I have seen Linux ARM dev boards for $80.

focalist

Ah yes, but we are Arduinites!

If we wanted to use the "right" tool for the job, we'd already have done it.  Arduino is about doing it wrong, and learning in the process ;)

I'm fairly certain that from a filesystem level (which is where these operate at), that there should be little difference between a HDD and USB Flash Drive.. it's made specifically to "appear" to be the same thing, functionality wise.  When I do use the module, I'm betting that it will handle USB hard drives if it handles USB flash drives.  Either have onboard buffering and flow control, so the transfer buffers may be as small as 512 bytes or less..

skyjumper

Well let us know how it works out! if it does not work, try a FAT16 file system, and/or a smaller hard drive / partition.

Danni_Hansen

Hey all.

Thanks for reply and sorry i didn't reply befor now.

I think its just best i tryout the basic stuff first... :)

Regards.

robtillaart

I think I can fit 6 uSD sockets on board!

So in theory you could make a RAID (5 ?) storage  ....
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

CrossRoads

Have you all seen the hard drive system that has been posted recently?
Needs 24 pins connected direct to an IDE hard drive.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

CrossRoads

@mmcp42,
I am seeing ~160K write speeds and ~280K read speeds using the SdFat library, Samsung 16GB Ultra SD card, and the benchmark test, writes/reads a 5MB file.

mmcp42

there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

Go Up