[Contribution] SG90 Characterization

Hello guys, some friends and I characterized the SG 90 because we couldn't find to much information about it, we tested it with standard inputs (step response, ramp response, impulse response), and found its transfer function. We made a little paper, and we hope it is useful to you!

The paper's link: SG90 Servo Characterization old.pdf - Google Drive

A little video about the process: SG90 Servo Testing, Characterization, and Transfer Function - YouTube

Edit: New link: SG90 Servo Characterization.pdf - Google Drive

SG90 Characterization.pdf (486 KB)

Was this a test on how to write a paper? If yes, you did well. May I add a pointy note: with the sample size of n=1 your study is on par with 90% of all pharma studies.

Interesting paper, but is somewhat weak in some aspects. The "With this knowledge, the SG90 can be now used for engineering student’s projects." seems to be pretty much "it is what it is" and "it works the way it is wired". Under what conditions will the "transfer functions"(?) be valid? Will they be the same at a 4.8v operating voltage as at a 6.0v operating voltage? I didn't see "Common issues with the servo response" clearly stated in the write up. Critical Peer review is a good thing before publishing.

It is not true that these servos are "usually" controlled using libraries (I assume you mean Arduinos and the Servo library). Many are controlled via RC and/or other micfocontrollers etc. And even with the Servo library anyone wanting more precise control will use writeMicroseconds(pulsewidth) rather than write(angle).

It would have been better to characterise the inputs in terms of pulse lengths in microseconds rather than degrees. By using input degrees you are measuring the Servo library responses as much as the servo itself and many applications will not use an Arduino with that library.

Steve

Thanks for the feedback!, we're going to add the suggestions.
Yes, the paper is pretty much a test paper. We wrote it to help people that looked for an, out of the box, plug and play, Arduino connected, SG90 transfer function and couldn't/ didn't want to characterize the servo (basically me a couple of months ago).