Go Down

Topic: Other hobbies (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

agmotes

Hello Everyone,

Since this General Discussion forum seems to be lacking some generality, I'd like to ask everyone what hobbies/interests you have beyond the obvious arduino/microcontroller-focused stuff discussed in the rest of the forum?

I love me some hiking/backpacking, brewing (beer, meade, occassionally wine), soap-making, gardening (when I have the space), astronomy, and photography are probably my top interests. I have an endless list of "interests" but those are the ones that I try to stay active in.  :D

How about you?

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL

SCUBA, cooking (just bought a sous vide device, and loving it), photography, walking. Lots of walking.
Please don't PM technical questions - post them on the forum, then everyone benefits/suffers equally

larryd

" just bought a sous vide device, and loving it"

Which one?

No technical PMs.
If you are asked a question, please respond with an answer.
If you are asked for more information, please supply it.
If you need clarification, ask for help.

" just bought a sous vide device, and loving it"

Which one?

Anova Precision.
It's my first, so I have nothing to compare it with, but it certainly seems to do the job.
Bought it pre-release, so didn't pay full price.
Please don't PM technical questions - post them on the forum, then everyone benefits/suffers equally

larryd

Jan 21, 2020, 08:36 pm Last Edit: Jan 21, 2020, 08:44 pm by larryd
Thank you.

Often wondered, is it just boiled meat?

Does the meat get any kind of plastic taste?

Have you tried it with corned beef?

Does it work with vegetables?  Scalloped potatoes?

No technical PMs.

No, it's juicy - no plastic flavour at all,.and the flavour doesn't leach out, as it would if boiled.
I usually finish steaks or chicken fillets on a very hot griddle for a few seconds.
Large prawns take 30 minutes and are perfect every time.
Things like brisket (36 - 48 hours at 57 degrees) for home-made pastrami or ox cheeks are unbelievably tender.
Duck confit is foolproof.
The only issue I've had so far is with bream, when I think I may have over-vacuumed, and the fish broke up a little

larryd

Jan 21, 2020, 09:04 pm Last Edit: Jan 21, 2020, 09:04 pm by larryd
No, it's juicy - no plastic flavour at all,.and the flavour doesn't leach out, as it would if boiled.
I usually finish steaks or chicken fillets on a very hot griddle for a few seconds.
Large prawns take 30 minutes and are perfect every time.
Things like brisket (36 - 48 hours at 57 degrees) for home-made pastrami or ox cheeks are unbelievably tender.
Duck confit is foolproof.
The only issue I've had so far is with bream, when I think I may have over-vacuumed, and the fish broke up a little
:smiley-eek:  Mmm Mmm Good

Veggies?

No technical PMs.

Not done any veg yet, but I've had sous vide carrots, and they were extremely good.

larryd

Jan 21, 2020, 09:39 pm Last Edit: Jan 21, 2020, 09:40 pm by larryd
Not done any veg yet, but I've had sous vide carrots, and they were extremely good.
We do this in boiling water, might be time to get a sous vide cooker :).

Christmas is only 11 months away.  ;)

No technical PMs.

I rubbed a very small (1kg) piece of brisket with freshly ground smoked pepper (about two tablespoons), a tablespoon of smoked salt, a tablespoon of sugar, and a half teaspoon of saltpetre,
Vacuumed it, left in the fridge for a couple of days, washed, dried, re-peppered and re-vacuumed, and cooked for 48 hours at 57 degrees (130F?).
About 5kWh, which I'm hoping to reduce with better insulation and a lid.
A pretty good pastrami.

Robin2

It seems like EVERY conversation eventually reduces itself to a discussion about cooking :(

I don't know how many times every week I have to turn off the radio because they start talking about cooking.

The world has moved on. We now have microwave ovens and Ready Meals. And biscuits (cookies for those on the other side of the Atlantic).

By the way, my other interests include model railways, reading and writing, woodwork  and making arty-things with card.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Jan 21, 2020, 10:30 pm Last Edit: Jan 22, 2020, 02:33 pm by TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL
It seems like EVERY conversation eventually elevates itself to a discussion about cooking
Fixed that for you.
The world has indeed moved on - I got rid of the microwave (sooo 1980s).

When the outside water warms up a bit, I'll go back to SCUBA - it's not that I mind cold water, and I have the gear to keep me cosy, but students don't like it much, and it makes teaching too rushed for my liking, especially if they're struggling with buoyancy in bulky and unfamiliar suits.

On the other hand, the colder water makes visibility better, which makes it easier to spot and catch the introduced American signal crayfish, which are utterly delicious with a little lime mayonnaise.

Qdeathstar

Jan 22, 2020, 05:03 am Last Edit: Jan 22, 2020, 05:05 am by Qdeathstar
playing poker for money. and losing. Hey we all can't be pros. #flushchasing4eva
A creaking creeping shadow
stiff against the freezing fog
glares at a tickless watch.

Time has failed him -- all things shall pass.

agmotes

So on a different note, I'm confused as to why this topic was moved since no explanation was given.

What is the difference between General Discussion and Bar Sport?

General Discussion - Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board
Bar Sport - Jokes, mobs, and all sorts of unrelated topics, shout out loud your love, and curse for that burnt battery-pack. (Keep it cool)
There doesn't appear to be any other info on which topics go where, and these two forums seem to overlap. Can anyone shed light on this, or is the placement of threads just kind of up to the whim of the moderator who happens upon a thread?

Jan 22, 2020, 03:22 pm Last Edit: Jan 22, 2020, 03:23 pm by TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL
Posts here don't count towards your total.

We once had a member who had pages and pages of posts, but only had about thirty posts that actually counted, because he used the bar like Facebook.

Go Up