Go Down

Topic: Timed out waiting for packet header (Read 191 times) previous topic - next topic

FHan166

Jan 22, 2020, 11:56 am Last Edit: Jan 22, 2020, 11:57 am by FHan166
Hello,

this is really important to me and I am starting to panic.  :smiley-confuse:

I had been using an ESP32 DEVKIT V1 in my long term project which I really need to work. The board didn't go into upload mode so I had to do it manually by holding boot button every time I uploaded a new code. I also used a small capacitator for some time between EN and GND pins. After some time (around two weeks) the board had died and stopped connecting. Only the red onboard led was on and the board didn't answer, not even in serial monitor after manual reset.

After that experience, without finding any help anywhere, I decided to buy a new one. Everything have worked just fine and just a few minutes ago, I couldn't upload again. The same problem, again, new board for 20€ is probably dead. Is there please anyone, who could help me test it or point out what could have gone wrong?

Thank you for all your answeres,
F.

BJHenry

Without more details any diagnosis is going to be shot in the dark, but it could well be something in the hardware that you have hooked up. Can you share a circuit diagram of how you have everything connected?

FHan166

Jan 22, 2020, 12:38 pm Last Edit: Jan 22, 2020, 12:40 pm by FHan166
Here it is. I don't think the circuit (PCB) is the problem, it works with a different board and I have done a new one during these problems just to be sure.

If you would wander: I measured the stepdown and it contstantly outputs 5.06V.

BJHenry

OP's schematic:

Here it is. I don't think the circuit (PCB) is the problem, it works with a different board and I have done a new one during these problems just to be sure.
So have you made up a custom PCB with sockets for the stepper drivers, switches etc? What happens when you remove one of the damages ESP32 modules from the PCB, does it still not work?

If you would wander: I measured the stepdown and it contstantly outputs 5.06V.
That's a good thing to check. Can you also check the 3.3V pin of one of the damaged ESP32 modules and see what it is putting out when the module is powered up on the PCB?

FHan166

So have you made up a custom PCB with sockets for the stepper drivers, switches etc?
Yes.

What happens when you remove one of the damages ESP32 modules from the PCB, does it still not work?
Yeah I tried uploading in unplugged state and plugged state in my PCB. Doesn't change.

Can you also check the 3.3V pin of one of the damaged ESP32 modules and see what it is putting out when the module is powered up on the PCB?
3,8V on 3V3 output and 4,4V on VIN input. There is a voltage loss on the stepdown down to 4,8V.

Note: When I plug the board into PCB the code that was on it last time still works, including serving web, buttons and steppers. It must be problem with usb or something like that.

FHan166

Jan 22, 2020, 01:56 pm Last Edit: Jan 22, 2020, 02:33 pm by FHan166
If I go and try furthermore, I can use usb-ttx module and connect esp without usb cable. I menage to upload code, but the code doesn't work. (I am trying this with just a blink code).

Go Up