Go Down

Topic: Arduino ble 33 no port (Read 979 times) previous topic - next topic

Ken_engels

I just bought 2 BLE 33 boards, I got the blink example to work, but very shortly after nothing works. When I plug the board to the usb no device-insertion tone, and no port to select in Arduino ide. Tried a fresh install, both win and Mac. There is a green led on, but no other led. I try to press rested twice fast to load boot loader,  nothing happens. The cable is ok. I haven't had anything connected to board.

I thing somehow a have erased the boot loader, but I can find any information about installing a new boot loader,

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

racpra16

1. After pressing the reset button twice, does your LED show the behaviour of fading(orange colour)?
2. Can you see the ports under device manager?
3. Did you try checking this board on another computer with a different USB cable?
4. Are you using the latest version of Arduino IDe 1.8.11 with an updated package under the board manager for BLE (nRF528x boards - version 1.1.4) // Path - IDE-> Tools -> boards-> Boards manager-> BLE
5. Is this behaviour is on both boards or just one BLE board? 
┗(•ˇ_ˇ•)―→ Member of the Ardunio customer service team
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━☞ Contact us through https://bit.ly/2xxu1le

Ken_engels

Thanks for your time,
1. No orange led, but I have seen it working.
2. The pc doesn't recognize the board I any way.
3. Yes. 3 cable, one fresh Mac installation and 2 windows.
4. All are updated. The Mac is a fresh installation.
5. Yes. Same for both board.

The strange thing is that I did get both to work, with the blink example, and then they are gone. I think I remember that when I uploaded the example the pc disconnect, and I tried to upload again. I know it has 2 port, that why I thinking the boot loader is gone.

Thank again

racpra16

• Share the sketch you uploaded which makes both the boards un-functional.

I thing somehow a have erased the boot loader, but I can find any information about installing a new boot loader, Please share the information on this with a proper link and the copy of the sketch.
//Arduino
┗(•ˇ_ˇ•)―→ Member of the Ardunio customer service team
( ━☞´◔‿ゝ◔`)━☞ Contact us through https://bit.ly/2xxu1le

Ken_engels

Hi, thanks again for your time, here is the code:

void setup() {
  pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);
}

// the loop function runs over and over again forever
void loop() {
  digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, HIGH); 
  delay(1000);                       
  digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, LOW);   
  delay(1000);                       
}

This code should not break the board, the reason I think the boot loader is gone, is that nothing happens when I attach the board, and I understand that this board have 2 port, one for the sketch and one for the boot loader. That why I want to try to load a new boot loader, but I can't find any information about this.

Thanks, Ken

ballscrewbob

Feb 07, 2020, 04:28 pm Last Edit: Feb 07, 2020, 04:30 pm by ballscrewbob
To put the board into "bootloader" mode you just need to quickly double tap the RESET button.
The LED will slowly blink and a new port should appear on your computer.
It may take a couple of attempts but most people figure it out quickly.

At that point uploading either the example "blink" or "bare minimum" sketch should put it back into a useful state on its normal COM port.

There is nothing in your sketch to suggest it may upset the board.
If you still have issues there are other things to look at but for now try putting it into bootloader mode.

EDIT
Make sure you are using a known good USB cable that is both DATA and POWER as many are power only.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Ken_engels

Thank again for your time, I know the cable is working, and it has both data and power.

Please look at this video a see if I doing anything wrong

https://youtu.be/qkLBMwCWic4

Thanks

ballscrewbob

Hi Ken.

You are looking at the wrong are of DEVICE MANAGER from the video.
The area is PortS COM & LPT.

Under win 10 this can often be hidden and you need to enable it by the "SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES" in certain win 10 installs.

That is where you will see the Arduinos.

Also dont be afraid of using your finger for the double tap as you will get a better tactile response.

Bob.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Ken_engels

Hi, thanks for your time. You are right about the device manager, and I can see the board using hidden device. It is greyed out, and tell's me the device is not connected to the computer. I tried to update and uninstall the driver, but still back to the same problem, nothing happens when I connect the Arduino. and it is the same problem on a Mac. I also tried to press reset many time, short, long, fast press, nothing happens.

Thanks. 

ballscrewbob

It may be that your micro usb cable is the wrong type.

There are POWER ONLY and POWER AND DATA versions of the same cable.
You need to make sure it is the latter.
This is especially true if device manager shows nothing when you plug it in.

There can also be issues with USB 3.0 so always try to use USB 2.0 ports.

Ken_engels

Hi again, I am using the right cable, I have used the cable for other thing with data. Also tried usb 2.0, same result. I thing the 2 boards is gone forever, but it just weird that it possible to destroy 2 board's just by plugging it to the USB port.

ballscrewbob

Feb 10, 2020, 05:36 pm Last Edit: Feb 10, 2020, 05:41 pm by ballscrewbob
It does sound quite weird.
Don't think I have heard of just usb killing boards.
Short circuits and abuse of power rails yes but not just USB.

You may want to raise this with STORE support.
Make sure you have selected the correct country when using the form.

Go Up