Go Down

Topic: Arduino 1.8.12 released (Read 25102 times) previous topic - next topic

oqibidipo

ARDUINO 1.8.12 2020.02.13

[ide]
* Reverted the bundled Java JRE to the latest freely redistributable Oracle JRE for all
 platforms except:
   - macOS (due to notarization)
   - aarch64 (due to missing graphical support)

Switching to AdoptJDK demonstrated to be more challenging than expected, bringing in
 some corner case bugs that were not being caught by our testing procedures:
   - https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/labels/OpenJDK

To guarantee the best user experience we decided to revert to the latest working JRE
 until all the issues are resolved.

* Improved visualization of compiler errors (@matthijskooijman)
* Fixed: "Comparison method violates its original contract" error in library manager
* Serial monitor is no more cleared during upload, so it can be copy/pasted (@PaulStoffregen)

[arduino-builder]
* FIX REGRESSION: library priority selection for bundled libraries (like SD or Ethernet)
* FIX REGRESSION: use AVR core installed via Board Manager (when present) instead of the one bundled in the IDE
* Improved precompiled libraries handling
* FIX: paths with spaces are now correctly printed in compiler output

jtcours

Thanks for reporting this! Please submit an issue on GitHub to bring this to the Arduino developers' attention:
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/issues
Thanks, Pert. I've opened #9764

pert

Barry_Cole

I have been using Arduino for a while now, I am sure that installing the original was simple. So:-

I have just downloaded arduino-1.8.12-windows.zip, and extracted it into arduino-1.8.12-windows, but where do I go from there. I have tried a few things but no installing action.

Help please.

BC

ballscrewbob

Hi Barry.

There are two versions...The ZIP and the INSTALLER.

The ZIP can be run portable / stand alone.
The installer performs the required steps to set out the directories and dependencies.

If you want it fully installed get the INSTALLER to suit your OS ?

If you want it portable then simple add a folder inside the unzipped directory called "portable" which will keep its dependencies and folders inside the zipped folder.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

ZSamuels

I'm running into the same problem as @leexande where after the Arduino splash shows up, it crashes and says, "Could not load keywords.txt, please re-install Arduino." I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Arduino using the installer and it still throws this error afterwards. Has there been any progress on why this error occurs or how to fix it?

pert

Has there been any progress on why this error occurs or how to fix it?
If you want progress on it, please provide the information I requested previously:
Please do this:
  • Start File Explorer (AKA Windows Explorer).
  • Open the Arduino IDE's installation folder (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino)
  • In the folder listing of the Arduino IDE installation folder, hold the Shift key while clicking the right hand button on the mouse.
  • Click "Open PowerShell window here" (or "Open command window here" if using Windows 7). PowerShell (or cmd if using Windows 7) will now open with the current directory set to the Arduino IDE installation folder.
  • Type ./arduino_debug
  • Press Enter. Debug output should now be printed to the PowerShell window as the Arduino IDE starts (or fails to start).
  • Wait for the Arduino IDE to finish starting, or failing to start.
  • Switch back to the PowerShell window if the Arduino IDE window took the focus.
  • Right click on the title bar of the PowerShell window.
  • Click Edit > Select All. This will select all the text in the PowerShell window.
  • Press Ctrl + c. This will copy the contents of the PowerShell window to the clipboard.
  • In this Arduino forum thread, click on the reply field.
  • Click the </> button on the forum toolbar. This will add the forum's code tags markup to your reply, making it easier for us to read.
  • Press Ctrl + V. This will paste the output between the code tags.
  • Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.
  • Click the "Post" button.

Hopefully that will give us some information we can use to help you with the problem.
Those instructions are Windows specific, because @leexande said they were using Windows. If you're using a different OS, the procedure is essentially the same, but you won't have an arduino_debug.exe, that's Windows-only. On other OSs, just run the arduino executable from the command line and post its output.

ZSamuels

If you want progress on it, please provide the information I requested previously:Those instructions are Windows specific, because @leexande said they were using Windows. If you're using a different OS, the procedure is essentially the same, but you won't have an arduino_debug.exe, that's Windows-only. On other OSs, just run the arduino executable from the command line and post its output.
The output was too long to post in a reply, but I put it onto a hastebin here: https://hastebin.com/saqujololi.bash

kssoin

I have just installed the 1.8.12 version in the portable mode. For sake of sharing information the IDE loads up and there appears no issue as it opens my last sketch that i closed on the 1.8.11 version.

ZSamuels

Feb 26, 2020, 07:06 pm Last Edit: Feb 26, 2020, 07:07 pm by ZSamuels
I have just installed the 1.8.12 version in the portable mode. For sake of sharing information the IDE loads up and there appears no issue as it opens my last sketch that i closed on the 1.8.11 version.

Tried using the portable install and it still crashes with the same error.

kssoin

Just for sake of expedition, tried running the arduino_debug.exe from the Powershell ISE window.
The IDE loaded and on compile of a sketch the compile verbose messages appeared in the powershell window.
 Just wanted to know if this can be used  as a debug tool for the sketch?

Makuna

Mar 03, 2020, 06:58 pm Last Edit: Mar 03, 2020, 07:03 pm by Makuna
ARDUINO 1.8.12 2020.02.13

Windows 10 with Ransomware Protection enabled is flagging the install and blocks a change to a windows core file!

\Device\Harddisk0\DR0

ballscrewbob

@Makuna

That is simply a "false positive"

If in doubt run it throu VIRUSTOTAL online.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

hasenradball

Hello Together,

I switched from IDE 1.8.9 -> 1.8.12 and I recognized the folowing issue during compile.

If I compile with 1.8.12 and forget to include a include of my own files there is no error thrown.

But if i do that with 1.8.9 I get an error during compiling -> and that is good!

Why that has changed?
How can switch the compiling setting thar it behave as 1.8.9 in that case?

pert

If I compile with 1.8.12 and forget to include a include of my own files there is no error thrown.
Please provide a complete minimal sketch that demonstrates the problem.

Please provide the full error output when you compile the demonstration sketch.

Go Up