Go Down

Topic: Forum software open discussion and suggestions feature requests. (Read 10934 times) previous topic - next topic

TheUNOGuy

Yes, another recent and welcome change
:)
It's better if you check the internet  ( your friend ) before posting..! ;)
How to get the best out of the forum - https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=712197.msg4790182#new

jimmer

Sep 23, 2020, 01:40 pm Last Edit: Sep 23, 2020, 01:42 pm by jimmer
Is there a way, or should there be a way, to mark threads as no longer of interest to the OP ?

eg I asked some questions yesterday but I'm no longer interested in the answers. I don't want people spending time trying to help me but there isn't a message icon to say this.

I realise sometimes the answers may be of interest to others (but it's unlikely in my specific case)

As well as Not interested anymore,  a marker for I'm happy with the answer / problem solved ?

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL

You can edit the original post's title to read "[SOLVED]", but that's no guarantee that you won't still receive replies.
You could ask a moderator to lock the topic.
Please don't PM technical questions - post them on the forum, then everyone benefits/suffers equally

ballscrewbob

Normally the OP would edit the title of the very first post and put (SOLVED) if they were OK with what was said and found a solution.

If they didn't get an solution but fixed it anyway they would normally add thier solution as the last post and mark it (SOLVED)

There is also an option to unsubscribe from posts too but I  have never used it as being a moderator I would find it not so helpful.

You can also use the "REPORT TO MODERATOR" option and ask us to LOCK a thread but if it is quite active we may initially decline. We will however asses the request regardless.

EDIT
Wot AWOL said LOL

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

PerryBebbington

Sep 23, 2020, 02:29 pm Last Edit: Sep 23, 2020, 02:44 pm by PerryBebbington
jimmer,
++Karma; // For asking about this and thinking it is important.

Normally the OP would edit the title of the very first post and put (SOLVED) if they were OK with what was said and found a solution.
Bob is being unduly optimistic with the use of the word normally, I suggest hopefully or occasionally or ideally would be more accurate.

Yes, those of us who answer questions appreciate it when the OP gives up an update, thanks us, tells us the problem us solved or whatever and maybe gives karma to all concerned. Unfortunately this doesn't happen anything like often enough.

UKHeliBob

As well as Not interested anymore,  a marker for I'm happy with the answer / problem solved ?
How about just posting to the thread and saying so, which you did ?
Low tech, no development or changes required and easily understood by anyone reading the thread. 

Members reading the thread can decide whether or not to contribute
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

Robin2

eg I asked some questions yesterday but I'm no longer interested in the answers. I don't want people spending time trying to help me but there isn't a message icon to say this.

I realise sometimes the answers may be of interest to others (but it's unlikely in my specific case)
Others have explained how to mark a Thread as [solved].

Apart from that I think the Thread should not be locked and other people should be allowed to exercise there own judgement about whether to waste use their time adding to it. As you say, it may be of interest to other Forum readers.

The exception I would make is where a Thread is written as a Tutorial. IMHO those Threads should be locked to avoid a long discussion from distracting from the lesson in the Tutorial.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ballscrewbob

The exception I would make is where a Thread is written as a Tutorial. IMHO those Threads should be locked to avoid a long discussion from distracting from the lesson in the Tutorial.

...R
IMHO tutorials should be initially left open to garner anything that the OP may have missed.
Omissions / errata should be catered for by dialog.

They will AUTO-LOCK after 120 days anyway with the recent implementation of that feature.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

UKHeliBob

IMHO tutorials should be initially left open to garner anything that the OP may have missed.
Omissions / errata should be catered for by dialog.
The problem with allowing comments in tutorial threads is that it dilutes and detracts from the content which may put future readers off of reading the whole topic.  That is not a problem if the whole tutorial fits in one post (unlikely) or if each of the chapters of it are put in separate posts all at once.

Using the one chapter per post approach as I (and Robin) have done means that readers can take things at their own pace without intervening posts commenting on examples etc disrupting the flow of the tutorial, but it does make adding more to the tutorial once comments have been made more complicated.

However, locking the tutorial also has its problems.  When I wrote the "Using millis() for timing.  A beginners guide" tutorial it was locked by a mod without reference to me, which I was happy with until I got a couple of PMs pointing out an error in my examples which, not being a mod at the time I could not correct.  I did not think it fair to ask a mod to unlock the topic for a short time to let me edit it as I could foresee problems in getting the timing right and didn't want to impose, so I left it and only corrected the error when I became a mod.

A possible improvement would be to allow a topic starter to edit their own posts in a locked topic and to add to the topic and for them to create a separate topic for comments on the tutorial with a link to it in the tutorial

Having said that, nothing can make people read the tutorials (or the sticky topics) as we all know so well.
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

ballscrewbob

The OP can also ask for some posts to be deleted if they interrupt the flow for a 2 or more part post.

Or as has been done in the past reserve a few for future edits / additions.

I think it is more down to the OP than just arbitrarily locking things down which may in turn lead to more moderator requests or unwanted PM's to the OP.

rising_youngstars

There should be a feature where the creator of a thread can lock their own posts

ballscrewbob

There should be a feature where the creator of a thread can lock their own posts
That would be an OK feature but I suspect it may come in for some abuse on occasion.
Like so may you tube channels that remove comment ability.
Or where a section of help tutorial may have a serious safety flaw.

There needs to be at least some peer review ability but preferably without involving extra moderation.

TheUNOGuy

True. Moderators should be able to review the thread before locking it...

Or better an extra button near the 'report to moderator' like 'Ask moderators to lock thread' or something like that. Just an idea. Not to be taken too seriously  :D
It's better if you check the internet  ( your friend ) before posting..! ;)
How to get the best out of the forum - https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=712197.msg4790182#new

Robin2

I don't like that idea. Although the creator may think a Thread is finished others may have a different view.  Most Threads are started by someone with a question about his own project and one easy way to repay the effort that goes into providing the answers is to make the OP's experience (i.e. problem and solution) available for others and for others to be able to extend the scope.

For the very Threads that need to be locked it does not seem too onerous to ask the Moderators to do the necessary. And I have to add that on the occasions when I have needed to edit a locked Tutorial the Moderators have responded very quickly to my request to unlock and later re-lock the Thread.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

CrossRoads

A big part of the Autolock is prevent spammers from posting to old threads.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Go Up