Go Down

Topic: Forum software open discussion and suggestions feature requests. (Read 10181 times) previous topic - next topic

UKHeliBob

To repeat my view as expressed earlier in the topic
To me the current range of forum sections is much too large.  Many were, I suspect, set up on a whim, used for a while and are now dormant.
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

Robin2

Hopefully the new system will have better SPAM protection so the poor newbies will not be penalised with a 5 minute wait between posts.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ballscrewbob

Hopefully the new system will have better SPAM protection so the poor newbies will not be penalised with a 5 minute wait between posts.

...R
Only after they sign the release form for "How to use the forum"   :smiley-twist:
It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL

...R
I don't view it as "penalise the noobs", more as "protect the majority"
Please don't PM technical questions - post them on the forum, then everyone benefits/suffers equally

Robin2

I don't view it as "penalise the noobs", more as "protect the majority"
I realize the intention is to provide protection but it does penalise the newbies. Few things can be more frustrating than taking the courage to post your first question, discover after you have posted it that you forgot to mention something, or made a silly typo, and then you can't amend it for 5 minutes. And if you get the correction wrong you have to wait another 5 minutes before you finally get it right. And even if you are the super-newbie who has read all the guidelines and you want to add an image and make it visible you still have the 5 minute wait between the post with the image attached and the opportunity to display the image in the Post.

I suspect if that malarkey had been in place when I joined the Forum I would have just given up. None of the other Forums I use has anything like it. There are some that needed a moderator approval for a first post - which is also discouraging, but easier to accept.

This 5 minute interval is a ridiculous constraint on legitimate newcomers - the very people we all want to encourage.

...R

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

pert

discover after you have posted it that you forgot to mention something, or made a silly typo, and then you can amend it for 5 minutes. And if you get the correction wrong you have to wait another 5 minutes before you finally get it right.
Ideally that should not be affected by a one post per 5 minutes restriction. I don't think there is any disagreement with allowing people to edit posts as frequently as they like.

Robin2

Ideally that should not be affected by a one post per 5 minutes restriction. I don't think there is any disagreement with allowing people to edit posts as frequently as they like.
I had not intended any discussion about this. I suspect we are all in agreement. I just posted Reply #46 so the matter would  not be forgotten about in any move to a new software system.

...R

mastrolinux

Hello,

yes, we do expect to keep a bare version, eventually even the SaaS one from some vendor like Discourse.

I do agree in having eventually this actual forum as read-only and start from scratch but if we see importing this whole forum in a subsection of the new one is feasible and works, then why not?

AFAIK Discourse has a very good SPAM detector system + we now have Cloudflare and can enable WAF to add even more protection Discourse trust levels

UKHeliBob

f we see importing this whole forum in a subsection of the new one is feasible and works,
If it does not jeopardise the project, then maybe, but unless it can be done with little or no effort then don't do it
Please do not send me PMs asking for help.  Post in the forum then everyone will benefit from seeing the questions and answers.

Robin2

If it does not jeopardise the project, then maybe, but unless it can be done with little or no effort then don't do it
Agree.

...R

mastrolinux

Understood thanks! We will give the migration a try and then let you know. Please consider we do not have an ETA yet but would like to do it before the end of the year. Hopefully sooner.

Thanks a lot for your feedback and let me know if there is any specific feature you absolutely need as a moderator that are not included in Discourse.

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL

Please don't PM technical questions - post them on the forum, then everyone benefits/suffers equally

Robin2

Thanks a lot for your feedback and let me know if there is any specific feature you absolutely need as a moderator that are not included in Discourse.
Would it be possible to set up a demo like I suggested in Reply #18 ?

Perhaps one of the Arduino backroom persons could be assigned to set up an Arduino-Demo version of Discourse as closely aligned to the present Arduino system as possible. Then any of us who is interested could have a look at it. Maybe it could even have limited login facilities. Such a system would be especially useful to allow Moderators to get a feel for it capabilities and limitations. A couple of backroom-person-days invested at this early stage could save a huge bundle of time later on.
...R

lastchancename

BTW, please keep it native in the browser...
Using an extra app, or having to repeatedly opt-out of the app is *really* unfriendly.

One feature that might be nice (mentioned a while ago), is to force/identify the member's locale/location/flag...
(Not automatically based on their system locale, because many punters don't set it..)
This helps if they're asking about something like selling, purchasing or collaboration - which makes it easier for helpers to give meaningful suggestions based on their locale.
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... Sure, there are trolls, chest-beaters, and pretenders - but the help you'll get here is about as good as it gets - if you try to help youself!.

ballscrewbob

My own thoughts on the "locale" is that some members may not like the idea as a matter of privacy.
There have been a few posts about IP address privacy and people worried about that.

The current system where only moderators and the user can see that via an IP seems more robust.
Locale is available in the current system but is turned off IIRC.
There are placeholders for locale at the very least in this current forum.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Go Up