Go Down

Topic: Forum software open discussion and suggestions feature requests. (Read 10222 times) previous topic - next topic

Robin2

It seems that your corporal punishment has worked.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

PerryBebbington

I feel we are getting away from the main point of this discussion...  :smiley-confuse:

ballscrewbob

I feel we are getting away from the main point of this discussion...  :smiley-confuse:
Sort of thinking that given the lack of input, the world crisis, and some seemingly random stabs at upgrading some existing features this thread may have already reached its pinnacle.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

and some seemingly random stabs at upgrading some existing features
Such a pity that the development team won't provide regular updates.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

PerryBebbington

The world crisis
Indeed. I did think these fora would become busier with people stuck at home indulging more in their hobbies, it seems to be quieter.

ballscrewbob

Indeed. I did think these fora would become busier with people stuck at home indulging more in their hobbies, it seems to be quieter.
About the same methinks but also the weather helps too.
Plenty people doing things outside at home and many DIY stores over here are currently showing shortages of power tools so I guess the hospital will be pretty busy  :smiley-eek-blue:

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

PerryBebbington

Plenty people doing things outside at home and many DIY stores over here are currently showing shortages of power tools so I guess the hospital will be pretty busy  :smiley-eek-blue:
LMAO!  :)

Robin2

It is some months now since the change to hosting the Forum with Discourse was last mentioned.

What is the state of progress on this project?

...R

TheUNOGuy

My opinion: This platform is great but not that efficient.

Well speaking of shifting to using another forum, I guess discord is already introduced...
It's better if you check the internet  ( your friend ) before posting..! :D
#Learn how to use the FORUM - https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=148850.0

ballscrewbob

My opinion: This platform is great but not that efficient.

Well speaking of shifting to using another forum, I guess discord is already introduced...
Yet "discord" is not prime time and is missing many of the easier features we see in here such as a "read only no subscription required"

It was not "introduced" so much as just dropped from the sky with no announcements from those involved in it. They seem to have had it for a while yet most in here were unaware of it being an Arduino related item so clearly somebody dropped the ball there. Here we are in the "WEBSITE and FORUM" related section and not a single announcement from anyone concerned with the project.

It is based on gaming and not as a "forum" so lacks the structure needed to perform as a technical base.

The name itself was picked from a gaming stand point and bears no relationship to "discourse" which means what it says not the opposite.

I am unable to get in there due to a KNOWN issue that a moderator over there admitted to me.
That means I am not alone in being UNABLE to use it.

It is a social media site so again bears no real fruit as a technical support forum.

There have been some minor improvements / bug fixes happening for the MAIN forum that I mentioned elsewhere.

I would be pleased to get more detail from you in regards to what the MAIN forum is missing for efficiency or improvements / features we can ask for.

After all this is the section that is the lifeblood of technical support and community.

Robin2

Be careful. DISCOURSE is a very different product to Discord.

This Forum is presently running on SMF and Discourse is an alternative and newer product which is expected to perform better than SMF.

...R

ballscrewbob

Thanks Robin.

Yes DISCOURSE is more in line with proper FORUM software and NOT a social media platform primarily for gamers that somebody wants to try use as a tech forum.

If discord was to be used then we would have expected to see those involved with it in this post making the case for it's adoption.
At least there would have been a chance for some suitable feedback, suggestions etc. which currently appears to have been done in total silence behind a closed door.

I have some Q. for both those platforms but at least with DISCOURSE I have an easy method to get those on thier forum which is also available in read only no sub required.

EDIT

Passed topic link for post #82 upstairs quite high.

Robin2

ballscrewbob

Sorry Robin.

It should have been a rather LARGE IF...Ok danged YUUUGE

Still waiting for "IT" to be removed from the toolbar and put with social media where it truly belongs.

TheUNOGuy

Still waiting for "IT" to be removed from the toolbar and put with social media where it truly belongs.

Please do that... :)

Though in discord I can see about 1,000 people online every time I check the Aduino server. Also this is the description for that server:

The official Arduino discord server for discussing and talking about all things Arduino related. Need help debugging or finding solutions to your code or hardware? Looking for ideas on a new project? Want feedback on the new project you've worked on? It's all here!

Looks like that should be the description for this forum...
It's better if you check the internet  ( your friend ) before posting..! :D
#Learn how to use the FORUM - https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=148850.0

Go Up