Forums to watch

How do I find the forums that aren't "homework help?"

Don't get me wrong I have been there and done that, but I'm looking to interact with people who are trying to do something, because they need help to do it. Several sub-forums are just full to the top of people looking for help on their homework.

Why does doing homework not count as doing something?

The other end of the scale is folk asking for help on what is obviously work work, for which they are presumably getting paid, yet haven't the know-how to do it, so they get free help on a forum. (And of course run the risk of some huge machine running amok and maiming the workers and public, when the design wasn't properly carried out and reviewed by suitable engineers nor signed off by the Design Authority but no worries, "some guy on the Arduino forum said it would be fine like that".

I'd rather help someone with their homework frankly: and if they do or don't cite the help they get in the bibliography that's for their conscience, not mine.

fishboneDiagram:
Why does doing homework not count as doing something?

'cause the motivation to learn and do is minimal to say at least. Basicly it breaks down to "please do this for me for free" - and that's just a PITA.

MonkeyWash:
How do I find the forums that aren't "homework help?"

Don't get me wrong I have been there and done that, but I'm looking to interact with people who are trying to do something, because they need help to do it. Several sub-forums are just full to the top of people looking for help on their homework.

I think you will find that the regulars on this Forum give very short shrift to people seeking to have their homework done for them.

My favourite recent example was a father hoping we would do his daughter's homework so she could practice archery.

...R

Robin2:
a father hoping we would do his daughter's homework

Some years ago I got a late night phone call from one of my nephews, then about 16-17, now in his 40s, along the lines of "UNCLE! Please help my Dad with my maths homework.." and he then passed the phone to my (sadly now late) brother.

You try doing algebra on the phone... nothing worked out, I mean you expect at school level for things to cancel neatly and you actually get an answer like 42. (Or in my brother's case a huge Petty fan, 43.)

A while later I asked how "we" did and we failed dismally: turns out my bloody nephew had left the book at school and had written the algebra down from a class-mate in a prior phone call. So no wonder it didn't work.

fishboneDiagram:
A while later I asked how "we" did and we failed dismally: turns out my bloody nephew had left the book at school and had written the algebra down from a class-mate in a prior phone call. So no wonder it didn't work.

LOL

...R