Arduno Nano got bad fuses

From another topic. Hello, I was playing with programming using SPI on Raspberry and it looks like some fuses gone bad on my Arduino Nano. I can't program them anymore, avrdude shows errors. Is there any way to fix them? I heard something about high-voltage programmer. Is that a good idea? Is it only way? Thanks!

Sketches:
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00

Bootloader burning:
avrdude: error: program enable: target doesn't answer. 1 
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

Error while burning bootloader.

Tried both things with 328P, old bootloader and 168.

And one more thing - do you know what could cause such behaviour?

Are you using the Raspberry Pi to burn the bootloader, or are you using a some other type of ISP programer? If the latter, which one?

Please do this:

• (In the Arduino IDE) File > Preferences
  • Check the checkbox next to "Show verbose output during: upload".
  • Click the "OK" button.
  • Tools > Burn Bootloader
  • After the Burn Bootloader process fails, you'll see a button on the right side of the orange bar: "Copy error messages". Click that button.
  • In a forum reply here, click on the reply field.
  • Click the </> button on the forum toolbar. This will add the forum's code tags markup to your reply.
  • Press "Ctrl + V". This will paste the Burn Bootloader output between the code tags.
  • Move the cursor outside of the code tags before you add any additional text to your reply.

Here you are :slight_smile:

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : usbasp
         AVR Part                      : ATmega328P
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : usbasp
         Description     : USBasp, http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

avrdude: auto set sck period (because given equals null)
avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Błąd przy wgrywaniu bootloadera.

I "broke" this Arduino using Raspberry SPI pins. In Raspberry console I got same output.

Please answer this question:

pert:
Are you using the Raspberry Pi to burn the bootloader, or are you using a some other type of ISP programer? If the latter, which one?

I am trying to burn bootloader using USBasp now.

Make sure the programmer's cable is correctly connected to the Nano. Pin 1 on the cable is indicated by a small triangle embossed on the plastic. Pin 1 on the Nano's ICSP header is indicated by a white dot on the PCB's silkscreen. I get this error when I plug the USBasp's cable in backwards on the Nano.

I have 4 Arduinos, 2 behave this way. So that's not the case...

Have you been modifying the fuses on your Nano?

The reason I ask is because if your USBasp programmer has the official firmware, you must short the JP3 jumper to program chips that are running at <=1 MHz clock speed. The factory default clock configuration is running on the internal oscillator at 1 MHz.

I haven't intentionally changed fuses but they may be changed. I will try this JP3 thing.

Ok, tried with JP3.

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : usbasp
         AVR Part                      : ATmega328P
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PC2
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  3600  3600 0xff 0xff
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : usbasp
         Description     : USBasp, http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/

avrdude: auto set sck period (because given equals null)
avrdude: warning: cannot set sck period. please check for usbasp firmware update.
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.

Błąd przy wgrywaniu bootloadera.

Do I have to change something in avrdude or sth using this slow clock feature?

Using standalone avrdude it reads Device signature 0x000000

Any ideas? :frowning:

In my experience, the 0x000000 is caused by incorrect wiring between the programmer and the target microcontroller. If you are using the exact same wiring to connect to the other boards and having success, I don't know what other problem would cause it. Maybe someone else here on the forum will have an idea.

Yep, 3 Arduinos working, 2 don't - with same wiring.