Go Down

Topic: NOSTALGIA: Remember when flatscreen monitors appeared ? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

ardly

... storage tube technology was essentially a short-lived dead end....
That was my point. I made the comparison between storage tube displays and valves.
Transistors pre-dated valves but for technical/practical reasons we went down the (largely) dead end of using valves before coming back to transistors.

The same with CRTs we wanted computer graphics but for technical/practical reasons we really could not use raster scan CRT at the time so we went down the dead end of storage tube displays before coming back to CRTs and then moving on to LCDs.

It was a surprise to learn today though that storage tubes were used as memory before magnetic cores.

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley

Robin2

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL

Please don't PM technical questions - post them on the forum, then everyone benefits/suffers equally

Slightly OT, but while I was looking for the name of the storage tube device attached to the PDP-8, I found this from December 1967, about the Tek 611, and on page 7, describing how it could be used with the "SRI mouse".

According to Wikipedia, The Mother of All Demos wasn't until 1968, and Engelbart only applied for the mouse patent in 1967 - this was really cutting-edge stuff!

(The paper also describes how the display had a "write-through cursor", which explains how it could display moving graphics without the blink/erase)
Please don't PM technical questions - post them on the forum, then everyone benefits/suffers equally

lastchancename

This turned into far more 'sport' than I imagined !
Just BTW, in my sphere, we were driving the AED 512 displays with PDP-11s, and we also had some SGI and E&Sgear later... laughably at the time, the 100MIPs based machines were 'cutting edge', and we were hardware hacking PDPs up from 64K to 256K of RAM !
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... Sure, there are trolls, chest-beaters, and pretenders - but the help you'll get here is about as good as it gets - if you try to help youself!.

The PDP-8 had just 4k 12 bit words, yet it was still possible to run the Focal interpreted language, and do some simple animations.

ardly

Semiconductors did, but not transistors.
You are right "cat's whisker" or crystal detectors were semiconductors but not transistors. They were in use as radio detectors from 1894 until around 1920 when valves replaced them. Eventually we got back to using semiconductors again.

In my previous posts wherever I mentioned transistors just substitute semiconductors.

I was also a bit sloppy in describing TecktoniX storage tubes and the raster scan equipment that replaced them as "monitors" and "displays". They were in fact "terminals" normally connected to computers by RS232 serial connections.

Raster scan CRT graphics terminals came to the fore but were quickly caught in a pincer movement between high end graphics workstations such as the Apollo and the upstart PCs. The IBM PC with its open bus architecture was a game changer. Terminals got replaced by PCs with CRT monitors and then the CRTs got replaced by LCD displays.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored" - Aldous Huxley

lastchancename

Aldous was right... I think he meant to say LCD
Experienced responders have a nose for laziness, (they were beginners once)... Sure, there are trolls, chest-beaters, and pretenders - but the help you'll get here is about as good as it gets - if you try to help youself!.

Go Up