Go Down

Topic: MOSFET N channel transistor curiosity (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

raschemmel

Feb 24, 2020, 05:03 pm Last Edit: Feb 24, 2020, 05:06 pm by raschemmel
FYI,
A couple of minor details about nomenclature:

MOSFET N channel transistor
Despite the fact that "MOSFET" stands for "Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor", it is still
referred to as a 'FET' as opposed to 'transistor'.

In addition, it is referred to as an 'N-channel Mosfet', as opposed to 'Mosfet N-channel'.
I suspect this may be due to some language convention differences where the adjective follows the noun
as opposed to precedes it.

the tension between the Drain and the + is around 8v.
In English , potential difference is called 'voltage', not tension. Again , I suspect this may be due to a
translation error.

3. Not sure what the English translation of 'alimentation' means, but I suspect it means 'SOURCE'.

raschemmel

Feb 24, 2020, 05:19 pm Last Edit: Feb 24, 2020, 05:30 pm by raschemmel
Are you unable to find a logic level N-channel mosfet ?

You might get better resolution using a higher frequency pwm signal (like 16 khz)

ARDUINO PWM LIBRARY

17Nico17

I Raschemmel! Thank you for all these precisions ;)

Yes,  I am french, I have learned many new word right here, such as Power Supply (my alimentation= source), Voltage (for tension, for potential difference) and for the N channel stuff. Yo are right, nouns are not placed equal in french and english (english always do the wrong way, the same for car driving side :P :P :P, just joking...;))

I have finally found the good one for my application :) And yes, I have also seen that the medium voltage measured by my available tools is better and more constant when my frequency is higher.
For the moment it is 5kHz, I will see what happens with it in a first time. I am not keen on having a perfect speed control so it does not really matter to me to have some slight variations even if I should have the theoretical same motor speed following my Arduino program.

PerryBebbington

English always do the wrong way, the same for car driving side
Just remember that a lot of English speakers are Americans and they drive on the wrong side like you French do!!!!! :smiley-confuse:

17Nico17

raschemmel

Feb 25, 2020, 03:57 pm Last Edit: Feb 25, 2020, 04:02 pm by raschemmel
Let us not forget we are forever indebted to
the French for their kiss.
And they are  indebted to us for arranging it
so they didn't have to speak German.

MarkT

2. In English , potential difference is called 'voltage', not tension. Again , I suspect this may be due to a
translation error.
High voltage is sometimes called high tension in English, its not very common though.
3. Not sure what the English translation of 'alimentation' means, but I suspect it means 'SOURCE'.
Pretty sure from context I've seen this it means specifically power supply (literally feeding).  Alimentary my dear Watson!
[ I DO NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them unread, use the forum please ]

raschemmel

I'm not a lineman but I would guess that all high voltage lines are also high tension to prevent drooping of the heavy copper wires but supposedly the 'tension' term for voltage is a throwback from the early 1900s when 'tension' was used to
describe voltage.

Go Up