Corona virus - it's simple

Ya just gotta believe

From something I heard on the radio yesterday I got the impression that official sentiment in Iran is equally realistic and surprisingly similar.

...R

Hi,
RS have the Vaccine for Corona Virus.

Apply liberally until you get an overall sheen.
Tom... :slight_smile:

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL:
Ya just gotta believe

Trump supporters are putting their faith in Psalm 91 - that is probably a good thing.

I'm an atheist. What's Psalm 91 about?

...R

Google..

What's Psalm 91 about?

Tom.... :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

It'll be about God and how wonderful He is, and what miserable losers the rest of us are.

They all are.

TheMemberFormerlyKnownAsAWOL:
It'll be about God and how wonderful He is, and what miserable losers the rest of us are.

They all are.

Amen :slight_smile:

...R

It is going to be interesting to see how the US fares in the pandemic compared with EU countries which tend to have well integrated health systems and social welfare benefits such as sick pay.

Given the age of the contenders in the Presidential elections I would not be surprised to see one or even two horses in that race falling.

I hear ‘Holy Water’ will keep you safe from the Corona 19 virus.

Wonder if Holy Water from any particular country is better, please do not suggest water from Vatican City ?

larryd:
I hear ‘Holy Water’ will keep you safe from the Corona 19 virus.

Lourdes has shut the 'Healing Pool'. Even the religious acknowledge that its 'miracles' cannot cure you of the virus and is more likely to infect you.

Henry_Best:
... its 'miracles' cannot cure you of the virus and is more likely to infect you.

Like it did always with all the germs and viruses that were available before COVID-19.

Every tragedy and danger is grist for the grifter mills.

We also have people who believe that pollution is no big thing and there's plenty of room for more people.

Who knows what shit people will believe?

Would you believe that Trump was secretly born in Israel, in the town now named for him? Huh? And the whole birther movement was made to discredit anyone revealing that DJT is the Antichrist and these are the last days AAHHHHHHHH!

People are crazy enough to gather at the open windows of their quarantine to sing and yell together.

The media hypes it as "nice moments" in a crisis.

I don't get it.

Whandall:
I don't get it.

I guess that's because you are wise enough not to stand close to the open window.

...R

I have a 975 m2 property with a 160 m2 house which I share only with my son,
so a possible full lockdown will not hit me as hard as someone living in small appartment, lucky me.

My mother will hopefully get 86 in june and many of my neighbors are beyond 80,
hearing from Italy that they (in some places) don't (can no more) treat persons above 80 is gruesome.

Italy is only about ten days ahead of the other European countries.

GB stopped tracing the infection chains, IMHO a bad idea, the US are steered into a really bad situation.

But since this is "Bar Sport" I will now take a chilled quinine and ethanol suspension.

bombay.jpg

Cheers. :smiley:

bombay.jpg

Whandall:
GB stopped tracing the infection chains, IMHO a bad idea,

I don't want to give the impression that people being killed by this virus is anything other than horrible.

But I'm not sure that it is practical to stop it.

In theory some country that was self-sufficient in food and power could have completely closed its borders to incomers before the virus reached it. And that closure would have to keep out its own citizens who happened to be abroad at the time. But how long would the closure have to be applied for? Presumably for months or years until there was not a single case of the virus in the rest of the world. Then, if the closure is eventually relaxed an incomer with immunity to the virus might bring it to "virgin territory" where nobody has the immunity.

And if it is not practical to stop it, aren't we best just to suck-it-up and get the worst over asap ?

...R

The problem is not that the virus will infect 60 to 80 percent of the population.

Likewise is the mortality rate of 1% (hitting preferred elderly or sick people) not a 'big' problem.

But if the number of infected persons gets too high, the number of severe and critical courses will too.
That will swamp the health system which has a big impact on other sick people independend of Corona.

So people will die just because there is no intensive care place for them.

IMHO the tracing still makes sense, every broken chain counts,
we all have to slow down the infection as much as possible,
in our own interest, not only to protect the more vulnerable.

A good British view Dr. John Campbell.

1%?

Try about 1 in 30, 3.4% going by actual death rates.

Or as Trump says, believe that any number you don't like is real and collected data is fake, it's 0.34% like the flu which is about 0.1%.

An NBA star who tested positive went out and signed autographs anyway and a kid got it, all it takes but I don't think that sitting near a window will waft the virus across the street.

GoForSmoke:
1%?

Try about 1 in 30, 3.4% going by actual death rates.

Or as Trump says, believe that any number you don't like is real and collected data is fake, it's 0.34% like the flu which is about 0.1%.

An NBA star who tested positive went out and signed autographs anyway and a kid got it, all it takes but I don't think that sitting near a window will waft the virus across the street.

If you use the number of confirmed deaths, which is a bit less than 6,000, and the number of confirmed cases, which is around 140,000, you get a mortality rate of about 4%.

But there are at least three big problems with that number;

The first is that some confirmed cases have neither recovered nor died, they are simply at the early to mid stages of infection, which points to mortality being greater than 4%.

However the second point is that very few people have been tested and it seems clear that quite a large number of people get mild systems and may not even know that they are infected. That is the main argument for the 'true' mortality rate being around 1%.

The third argument is a bit more academic and that is that some people are dying simply because adequate treatment is not available. It is clear that there is a shortage of ventilators and in Italy it seems hospitals may just have run out of oxygen. Dead is dead but if the person died because they were not treated it reflects mainly on local health services and these will vary widely around the world.