Go Down

Topic: Solar charger automatic voltage detection (Read 114 times) previous topic - next topic

tjones9163

Feb 29, 2020, 10:16 pm Last Edit: Feb 29, 2020, 10:17 pm by tjones9163
Hello I have bought a  solar charge controller here, it says it has "automatic detection of the voltage"
Does this mean that it can handle a solar panel with an "Open Circuit Voltage" of 22v from a panel and regulate this to charge a 12v lead acid battery? here?

I want to make sure before i connect it.

Also, I am pretty sure they work together because it said a lot of people have bought them together on amazon.

Thanks

RIN67630

Theoreticall yes, but I have made bad experiences with them.
Basically they are ony PWM and have a bad efficiency if the voltage range is too different, I also noticed that if the battery is deep discharged they will fail to detect the right voltage.

tjones9163

Theoreticall yes, but I have made bad experiences with them.
Basically they are ony PWM and have a bad efficiency if the voltage range is too different, I also noticed that if the battery is deep discharged they will fail to detect the right voltage.

thank you for the response, Isn't a way to check that is to hook up the battery and solar panel to the charge controller and meter the voltage on the battery terminal on the charge controller?
Kinda how you check the battery of a running car to check if the alternators working?
In other words if the charge controller didn't have an "automatic detection", would the battery terminals on the charge controller read around 22v of my panels?

RIN67630

thank you for the response, Isn't a way to check that is to hook up the battery and solar panel to the charge controller and meter the voltage on the battery terminal on the charge controller?
Kinda how you check the battery of a running car to check if the alternators working?
In other words if the charge controller didn't have an "automatic detection", would the battery terminals on the charge controller read around 22v of my panels?
The automatic voltage detection I have been speaking of, refers to the battery voltage 6V or 12V.

Go Up