Go Down

Topic: Nano only seen when powered by battery (Read 713 times) previous topic - next topic

kenjones1935

My PC running XP makes its little sound recognizing the Arduino Nano on its USB port ONLY when the Nano is powered by a battery.  Plugging in a bare Nano does not work at all - no USB new connection sound - no checked COM port in the SERIAL PORT list.  (The little blue Nano LED glows WAY to dimly.)

Is something fried on the Nano board or is there something in the Arduino-0022 configuration that needs to be reset?

retrolefty

Is something fried on the Nano board or is there something in the Arduino-0022 configuration that needs to be reset?

No configuration, it's got to be a hardware problem on the board. Possible problems:

Bad +5vdc feed from a defective USB cable.
Bad power pin on the USB connector
Bad solder joint on the USB +5vdc pin on the USB connector.
Bad trace from the USB +5vdc to the D1 diode.
Bad D1 diode.

A simple troubleshooting method would involve using a volt meter after you plug the nano into the PC, measure between ground and +5vdc at the proper pin on the USB connector. If there, measure for +5vdc at the USB side of the D1 diode. If there, measure at the other side of the D1 diode, if not there then D1 is bad, open circuit.

Lefty

kenjones1935

Thank you retrolefty,  What I suspected is true.  Luckily I can  use the battery system until my new Nano's arrive in the mail.

Go Up