Go Down

Topic: Interesting new AVR chip family - AVR-DA (Read 675 times) previous topic - next topic

westfw

For a while now, information has been leaking out of Microchip about a new family of AVR microcontrollers, the AVR-DA chip.  As of today, datasheets have been released and several parts are orderable from MicrocipDirect.com.

We're not entirely sure whether these are essentially The "mega-1" followon to the mega0 (atmega4809 as used on Nano Every and Uno WiFi2), or whether they're an addon tto the XMega series that have also been out for a while - the "AVR-DA" is a new naming style (vaguely similar to some of the PIC lines - PIC32-MX vs PIC32-MM, for example.)

But they have some interesting properties, especially WRT Arduino users.

• Up to 128k of program memory, 16k of RAM. (It's the "big" chips that are currently available.)
  • Up to 24MHz.
  • 28-pin DIP version!  (yes, with 128k of flash.) (fans will note that 128k DIP PIC32s have been available for a long time.)
  • The 48pin versions look to be pin-compatible with the ATmega4809.  So the hypothetical 128k "Nano Every+" is a possibility.

AVR-DA Family Product Brief
AVR128DAxx Data Sheet

I'm not sure that this will win designs away from ARM chips (especially those SAMD5x boards), but this is certainly an AVR chip that would have been REALLY interesting 5 years ago!

(I've ordered some chips...)

MartinL

Thanks for the information about the AVR-DA.

I'm not sure that this will win designs away from ARM chips (especially those SAMD5x boards), but this is certainly an AVR chip that would have been REALLY interesting 5 years ago!
That's very true, nowadays we're spoilt for choice and every few years sees incredible advances in the amount of functionality they can cram on to a tiny piece of silicon. I guess this takes the AVR architecture into ARM M0/M0+ territory.

Nevertheless, I think the AVR-DA looks like an interesting family of devices, I particularly like that it's a modern update on the AVR with loads of peripherals and multiplexed IO. I also like the fact that it has a wide operating voltage range: 1.8V to 5.5V and internal EEPROM, (that's often lacking on many ARM devices). Looking at the datasheet, no native USB, but then neither does the ESP32.

hansibull

Cool! I'd love to add support for them in the MegaCoreX repo, but I'm not sure how to handle the fact that there is no "Arduino toolchain" for them yet since there are no Arduino boards that use AVR-DA. It would at least be a lot more work I believe.
MightyCore -  ATmega1284, mega644, mega324, mega164, mega32, mega16, mega8535
Github.com/MCUdude/MightyCore

MiniCore - ATmega8, mega48, mega88, mega168, mega328
Github.com/MCUdude/MiniCore

DrAzzy

Mar 26, 2020, 07:58 pm Last Edit: Mar 26, 2020, 08:04 pm by DrAzzy
Hmm! They sure look like the 1-series counterparts to the 480x parts. Sexy sexy sexy!

And they have a second TCA! Helllll yeaaaa!

I don't suppose you could link to the product page on microchipdirect.com? Nothing turns up in search for AVR128DA

I wish they'd kept the same naming style for the AVR parts :-/
ATTinyCore for x4/x5/x61/x7/x8/x41/1634/828/x313 megaTinyCore for the megaavr ATtinies - Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

westfw

DrAzzy

Weird. Well, I placed my order. Pity the DIP ones won't ship until June :-(

Argh, and I don't have any TQFP-48 breakout boards on hand either. Pity, that!
ATTinyCore for x4/x5/x61/x7/x8/x41/1634/828/x313 megaTinyCore for the megaavr ATtinies - Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts, mosfets, awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

westfw

I theoretically managed to order some DIPs.  I'll ship you some if they arrive...

6v6gt

. . .
And they have a second TCA! Helllll yeaaaa!
. . .
I don't want to hijack this thread (at least, not for an extended period). I've just started playing a Nano Every with the ATMEGA4809 and I did wonder why the Arduino run time system grabbed the only TCA. Could it not have struggled along with one of the TCBs for the inbuilt timer functions (millis() etc.). Maybe I have misunderstood something that should be clear ?

Go Up