Go Down

Topic: Have I bought the wrong shield? (Read 2090 times) previous topic - next topic

Arbuthnot

Greetings all, hope you're staying away from COVID-19.
My new problem is, the motor shield (L298) I bought for my Uno Rev3 appears to be inadequate for the CNC (3018 Woodpecker). This cnc has 3 steppers (D4HSC1413B-24) and a spindle (24v). I would like to fit a laser in the future.
L298 only allows for 1 stepper or 2 motors and 1 x 24v outlet.
Is there a shield to cover the steppers and the spindle?

ballscrewbob

That really is the wrong shield for the purpose.

Almost any of the CNC shields even if they have space for 4 stepper drivers is a better option.

Ensure you get drivers with heatsinks.

Also moving you to the CNC section as you may find some more help and advice in there.

Bob.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Robin2

Mar 28, 2020, 03:43 pm Last Edit: Mar 28, 2020, 03:46 pm by Robin2
I wonder if you need a RAMPS shield (and a Mega) if you need to control a laser. They have outputs for the heaters on a 3D printer that could probably be used to control the laser.

Didn't your CNC 3018 come with a control board? Mine did, and it includes a connection for a laser (which I don't yet have).

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ballscrewbob

A laser is easy to control from either shield and even the combo boards Robin.

Usually spindle enable. coolant enable, fan enable, etc. are all viable options but for PWM which most lasers need then spindle speed output or any other PWM enabled output is more than enough.
Even TTL can be routed through most spindle PWM outputs as they are often just 5 volts.

It is all I use here when I have a laser hooked up instead of a spindle.

Only caveat is for the higher end boards that may use a 10 Volt output for the MACH compatible machines.
They often need a secondary board to step down or up as the case may be.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google (who would have thunk it ! ) or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

Arbuthnot

Morning all, I owe you all an apology for giving you bad info.
Yes Robin, it has a control board and on much closer inspection I've worked out it is a
"Developower v2.0" steered by a "Dccduino Nano" using GRBL 0.8. Had quite a few minor problems with that (0.8) hence the desire to go Arduino.
Since Developower has all the mechanicals, could I simply upgrade to 1.1 and if so how?

ballscrewbob

In the boards here it was simple a matter of loading the correct GRBL library into the IDE and then as easy as hitting the example and uploading.
If you see a low memory warning that is normal as you are maxing out the nano's uno's etc.

Head up you should take note of the current firmware settings.
"$0 to $132" Write those down as it will save a bit of work.

Also note there are a couple if pin changes in 1.1 but these are documented and mainly concern spindle and Z limit but easy to change over.

Bob.

Arbuthnot

Did as you suggest, Bob. I already have grbl 1.1 in the IDE, so I changed the board on the list from Uno to Nano and uploaded the sketch but got the following error code:
Code: [Select]

#include <config.h>
#include <coolant_control.h>
#include <cpu_map.h>
#include <defaults.h>
#include <eeprom.h>
#include <gcode.h>
#include <grbl.h>
#include <jog.h>
#include <limits.h>
#include <motion_control.h>
#include <nuts_bolts.h>
#include <planner.h>
#include <print.h>
#include <probe.h>
#include <protocol.h>
#include <report.h>
#include <serial.h>
#include <settings.h>
#include <spindle_control.h>
#include <stepper.h>
#include <system.h>

#include <config.h>
#include <cpu_map.h>
#include <defaults.h>
#include <eeprom.h>
#include <gcode.h>
#include <grbl.h>
#include <jog.h>
#include <limits.h>
#include <nuts_bolts.h>
#include <planner.h>
#include <print.h>
#include <probe.h>
#include <protocol.h>
#include <report.h>
#include <serial.h>
#include <settings.h>
#include <stepper.h>
#include <system.h>

void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:

}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}

This doesn't look the "Error compiling for Arduino Nano" that shows up at the bottom of the compiling window.
It goes through the compilation but that's all.

ballscrewbob

I dont see an actual error ?

When using Chinese NANO's dont forget to use OLD BOOTLOADER as the variety of board core.

Also please include a link to the GRBL board you want to use ?
It may be important as for a while the Chinese were sending out some that had some driver pins mixed up which needed a slightly different version of GRBL or a small modification to one of the GRBL files.

Arbuthnot

I can find a button for "burn bootloader"' is that the one? Where do I find this "link" and how do I include it?
Thanks heaps.

ballscrewbob

Mar 30, 2020, 11:44 pm Last Edit: Mar 30, 2020, 11:45 pm by ballscrewbob
You are NOT burning a bootloader.

Open the IDE.
Select Boards , Then select NANO.
Now go back to that tab and you will see "processor" and there you can select OLD BOOTLOADER from the three choices given to you.
Now go back there again and make sure it is set to the correct COM port as shown in device manager or similar.
Then you can upload the GRBL sketch which will initalise the board as a CNC controller

The link I want is to the EXACT hardware you have purchased !

Arbuthnot

Hi Bob,
Followed your instructions to the letter and got "Exit Status 1. Error compiling for Arduino Nano".
Where do I find this Link, and when you say hardware, is that the CNC itself or the controller board.

ballscrewbob

I just want to be sure we are on the same page thats all.

So really I need to know where you got your hardware both items are better otherwise as I stated earlier there may be some changes to make.

Also what was the rest of the message in the lower console ?
Turn on "VERBOSE" in preferences for upload.

I tried a nano clone earlier and had no issues here so I do need more detail from you.

Could you take a few moments to Learn How To Use The Forum.
Other general help and troubleshooting advice can be found here.
It will help you get the best out of the forum.

Bob.

Arbuthnot

Hi Bob, the following is the blurb on Banggood's web site.

https://www.banggood.com/3018-3-Axis-Mini-DIY-CNC-Router-Standard-Spindle-Motor-Wood-Engraving-Machine-Milling-Engraver-p-1274569.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=AU

GRBL 0.8 and CH340** were downloaded from GitHub and installed. Had minor success with carving using Easel. Cura was installed for a slicer (for the 3d printer). LightBurn was installed for a laser. LightBurn thought I was using grbl 0.9.

Specification:
General Specification
 Model     Mini CNC3018 (Without Laser Module)
 Frame Material     Aluminum Alloy
 Color     Silver
 Table Area     Approx. 340x160mm
 Working Area     Approx. 340x160x40mm
 Product Weight     7.5kg
 Control Software for Spindle     GrblControl
 Control Software for Laser     Litefire
 System Requirements     Windows XP SP3, Win7, Win8, Win10.
 Adapter Plug     2-Pin US Plug
 Adapter Input Voltage     AC 110-240V 50/60Hz
 Adapter Output Voltage     DC 24V 4A
 Features     1. Aluminum Profile Stable Construction
 2. 3 Axis Movable, Powerful Spindle Motor
 3. Contains Quickstart Guide of GRBL Software
 4. 340x160x40mm Working Area, Meet Most Amateur DIY Needs
 5. Engrave Wood, Plastic, Acrylic, PCB, or Similar Material
     Can Not Engrave Metal, Steel, Aluminum.
 Technical Parameters
 Working Voltage     DC 24V
 Interface     USB
 Stepper Motor     42 Stepper Motor, Voltage: 12V, Phase Current 1.3A, Torque 0.25N.m
 Spindle Motor     775 Spindle Motor (12-36V) 24V: 7000r/min, 36V: 9000r/min
 Spindle Motor Shaft Diameter      5mm

Features:
- Assembly requires a certain mechanical skill. All assembly components are included.
- Engraving Materials: The machine can carve wood, plastic, acrylic, PCB, or the like materials.
- Can Not Engrave: Hard metal (such as brass, steel, iron, etc), jade and other very hard texture items.

Note:
1. Instructions & Software: Assembly instructions, control software and further information please CLICK HERE
2. This item contains the spindle motor, but no laser module. If you want to use laser for engraving, you can buy it additionally. Thanks for your understanding, and please note that the
input interface (Should be XH2.54-3P or XH2.54-2P) and input voltage (Should be DC 12V) of the laser module should be compatible with the control board on 3018. Besides, the original motor
holder is round, please make sure the shape of your laser module is suitable for installation.

Now we recommend the laser module (2500mW Blue Laser Module) produced by the original manufacturer: ID: 1386316

Package Included:
1 x Wood Engraving Machine Full Set (Unassembled Delivery)
(Comes with plug adapter according to your country)

Code: [Select]

#include <config.h>
#include <cpu_map.h>
#include <defaults.h>
#include <eeprom.h>
#include <gcode.h>
#include <grbl.h>
#include <jog.h>
#include <limits.h>
#include <nuts_bolts.h>
#include <planner.h>
#include <print.h>
#include <probe.h>
#include <protocol.h>
#include <report.h>
#include <serial.h>
#include <settings.h>
#include <stepper.h>
#include <system.h>

void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:

}

void loop() {
  // put your main code here, to run repeatedly:

}

Hope all this helps, Bob
Thanks, your blood's worth bottling.

ballscrewbob

The good news is that one will upgrade to 1.1 GRBL with no real issues.

The bad news is you posted the wrong output from the IDE.
I really need the stuff from the small panel at the bottom but before you C/P that back here make sure you have VERBOSE turned on the in IDE preferences.

If the output is too long to post then ATTACH it as a simple TXT file from notepad or similar.

Oh and if it does post make sure you use code tags ( </> )or I will be all over you like a rash.  :)

Arbuthnot

Apr 02, 2020, 07:16 am Last Edit: Apr 02, 2020, 07:31 am by ballscrewbob
Hi Bob and others. You people must work 24/7 to answer this many questions.

I've attached (I think) a copy of the error code and a pic of the board.
Hope they come out to your liking Bob.
Thanks again, you people are truly appreciated.

(mod edit)

Go Up